suggestions for 3rd pot

Draugr

Hey there community =D

I'm about to order myself my very first warmoth, and I just found these forums.

I've pretty much decided what kind of wood i want for both the neck (mahogany, ebony fretboard) and the body(mahogany, walnut top), but I'm having some problem deciding what to with all the wiring possibilities. I'm going for a H-H setup with high output passive pups and possibly 3 knobs: 2 push/pull knobs which will act as volume and coiltap for each pup and one last pot for either master tone or something completely different. I'm going to skip the 5 way switch option and rely on the volume knobs for more control (thats at least the way i feel).

If anyone has a suggestion for that 3rd pot, please don't hold back =) I'm a complete idiot when it comes to electronics, so please explain your idea.

Oh yeah, Hi guys =)

Welcome! Tone controls are useful if you actually use them. The best way to use them is to set them at 7 or 8, then set up your amp so it sounds good. Then you can both add and take away treble response for different songs and effects. You're basically looking at using a Jazz bass wiring with coil taps added, a bit unusual but not actually that hard.

On the other hand, if you want to get a super high output double-bucker sound, use the third knob to put the two buckers in series with each other. It would be a legitimately different sound, and maybe real useful if you also used one or both of the coil taps.

Sounds good.  I'd use the third for a Master Tone.  I'd rethink leaving the switch in.  With it in the middle position, it's like it isn't there so you could still blend with the volumes.

The thing is, on my current guitars I find myself using the volume control instead of the 5way/3way switches when i play different stuff. On one guitar I have the 5way set up to do the coil tapping and thus I have to use it..but other than that I barely even touch them... Series/Parallel could work. Never done that before =)

Why not use the third knob as an active boost for solos?  EMG makes one and I have them in two different strats, but I don't recall the name.  ><

-Mark

AprioriMark said:
Why not use the third knob as an active boost for solos?  EMG makes one and I have them in two different strats, but I don't recall the name.  ><

-Mark

The "Afterburner" unit?

AprioriMark said:

-Mark

That might be a good idea. Thanks, I wasn't aware of any "known" manufactureres of that kind of mod.

hey thats not a bad idea.. mid sweep instead of just bass/treble. I'll look into that Tone-X. Thanks for the tip Watershed  :eek:ccasion14:

Back