Suggestions for 1st build J bass

BklynBassman

I will be doing my first build and it will be a ss J bass.  I would like to get somewhat of the same sound of traditional single coil pickups but without that 60 cycle hum, any suggestions as to what set of J pickups I should try?

:guitaristgif:

I've got these in my fretless J Bass, and I love them.

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/bass/standard-bass/dimarzio-model-j

Looks like Drew and I are in agreement. Dimarzios are pretty great pickups, and you can't go wrong with the Area Js or Model Js.  :eek:ccasion14:

I'm a fan of the Seymour Duncan Classic Stacks (STK-J1). I haven't tried the Area Js, but I have an Area T and it's a great pickup. Nordstrand split coil J bass pickups are supposed to be fantastic, but they're a little more expensive than the Dimarzios or Duncans. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Hi Guys, thanks a bunch, funny because I was considering either Dimarzios, Seymour Duncan Antiquity II  or Fender N3 Noiseless.  I now am leaning to Dimarzios but more suggestions would be welcome :)

Other options to consider : Bartolini9J#1 L/LN - Split Coil Hum-Cancelling Pickups /  Delano's  JC 4 AL/M2 - Split-Coil Humbucker  set / AguilarAG-4J-HC set or Nordstrand NJ4SV/NJ4SE - 4 String J Pickup Set  All very good , J style humbuckers 

I've built several custom neck through with Bartolini's and the clients have always loved them , I use thier 3 band 5.2 preamps

http://www.bestbassgear.com/  is a good resource for them all  ( they carry Fralin, EMG, Duncan's etc too)

bob7point7 said:
I'm a fan of the Seymour Duncan Classic Stacks (STK-J1). I haven't tried the Area Js, but I have an Area T and it's a great pickup. Nordstrand split coil J bass pickups are supposed to be fantastic, but they're a little more expensive than the Dimarzios or Duncans. I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

I'll second the recommendation for Seymour Duncan Classic Stacks. I've got them in my Warmoth Jazz Bass and
I love the sound. Deep, full, warm sound, yet nice highs. Not so much midrange grind like many hotter pickups.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the listed pickups, but I prefer Nordstrand's.  Had bad luck with DiMarzio's about 15-20 years ago, and it left a mark.  Not saying that means anything now, but...  I would get a bunch of ideas of the sound you'd like, artists and song examples, and talk to the guys at Best Bass Gear.  As Greywolf indicated, they have quite the selection, but they will steer you to the one that sounds most like what you are after.  I have had very good luck with them in the past.  I had an issue where an manufacturer had not clearly defining something, it happened to be only for a very specific application, so they replaced the part with one that would work.  Then they called me later to ask how it was working.  Bottom line is they are interested in doing things right.  If you give them some clues, they help you figure it out.
Patrick

+1 on the folks at best bass gear , they are the only vendor I use anymore for bass gear .  Always reliable, and rock solid.

Get on thier mailing list ( they don't spam you to death)  and youu can get some great deals periodically .  I saved enough last time around to pay for a set of Bartolini's for a fretless I'm building .

They've shipped to me Priority mail every time I've used them, and it gets from North Carolina to California in about two days.  Incredibly quick.  While I am a miser with cash, they were nice enough that I use them over others.  After my interesting experience, I know what kind of people they are, and prefer my money goes there.
Patrick

I want to thank everyone, I have gotten great advice, and I am definitely going to get in touch with the people at best bass gear.  You all Rock, thanks. :guitarplayer2:

Back