Streaks on fretboards, nature's beauty or fault ?

Unwound G

I received this neck last month and did not expect it to be as streaky on the fretboard.  I am not too particular about it but it got me thinking that if I string it, will the streaks appear unbalanced against the strings ?  Did Warmoth did it on purpose to show nature's beauty or left it to us to stain it with ebony dye ?

Streakyfretboard.jpg

what what what? you ordered this as regular ebony??
I ordered macassar ebony years ago, and got a black fingerboard, with one little tiny lighter stripe on it... I would have paid an upcharge to get one like you!

Yah, they did it on purpose, just to spite their competitors.  They do things like that...  :icon_biggrin: (kidding!)

They may just grab the next board off the top, and yours just happened to be the lucky neck.... :dontknow:

Yea, that is a beautiful fingerboard.  :glasses9:  You are the lucky one indeed...

looks just like mine! which was ordered as macassar ebony. i wouldn't change it, some pay extra for that sort of thing.

only if i was doing a theme like a none more black sorta thing would i change it. for anything else i would welcome the uniqueness of all the pieces.

This neck is actually from Showcase and the pictures did not show up the streaks very well so it is just luck of the draw.

Beauty is always in the eyes of the beholder.  Most of us do revel in the unique available woods at Warmoth - gorgeous neck  :glasses10:

It's a fault - horrible looking fingerboard and it *will* look wacky when you string it.  I'm sure that you don't want it.  But, today is your lucky day!  I am willing to take it off your hands (for a discount, of course) so that you won't have to look at it everytime you play.  PM me for details and shipping instructions ;-)

Sweet fretboard!  Do you have those Showcase pics?  If you have the part number we can look up the photo

dbw said:
Sweet fretboard!  Do you have those Showcase pics?  If you have the part number we can look up the photo

The Showcase number is TN2499 and it only cost $261.50 after sale discount !!!

Just as a quick note, Warmoth does not dye their ebony fretboards.  They're left all natural.

Back