STOLEN!! UPDATE! Insurance money on its way.

Its perfectly fine dude, I hate whitey.  this coming from the whitest person I know. (couldn't find me in a snow drift)

1. Check ebay - even for parts

2. There was a case - a happy ending, when I guy got his Gibson SG back... like 22 years after it was stolen!  It had serial number he remembered, and he had proof of ownership.  He contacted authorities where it was, and send them all the proof he had, and ... the new "owner" got it from a local pawn shop, who got it from etc etc etc.  Long story short, the new owner was overjoyed to get it back to the real owner, some finagling by the shop owner to make things right, whereas he didn't lose his butt (although in the pawn biz you should expect to, but you're protected by law in every jurisdiction I know).  I think he had to pay in the $200-300 range to get his old guitar back... seems a shame, but at least its his again.

-CB- said:
(although in the pawn biz you should expect to, but you're protected by law in every jurisdiction I know).

Protected by law even when you break the law...  Ain't that ironic?

JBD

well the problem is theres no serial number right? just the internal warmoth reference number which is different on the neck and body. not that i remember what they were, (coudln't even see the one on the neck cause it was covered in paint)

but a fancy guitar with no serial number is rare enough to prove it. plus i have my recipt

ognolman said:
-CB- said:
(although in the pawn biz you should expect to, but you're protected by law in every jurisdiction I know).

Protected by law even when you break the law...  Ain't that ironic?

Completely.  Pawn Brokers give "loans" against "collateral" that they take "in good faith".  So if there's a stolen item thats yours in a pawn shop, and you go to the cops about it, you are legally obliged to pay the pawn shop at least what they "loaned out" for it, and in some places, they get a fee on top of that!  The recourse for the consumer is he now now that information the pawn broker got (always bogus) and can go after the person who pawned it.  Riiiight.  Never happens.  Its a scam and an easy out for the pawn shops, who know they do business with crooks, yet claim "innocence" when confronted with the facts.

Actually, these days, the pawn shops have fewer stolen goods, with online "auction brokerages" doing more of that.  That is, specialized sellers who take huge commissions on top of whatever the ebay sale gets.  They dont own the stuff, they just "move it" for the owner.  This is just another fence job.  Beware.

-CB- said:
Actually, these days, the pawn shops have fewer stolen goods, with online "auction brokerages" doing more of that.   That is, specialized sellers who take huge commissions on top of whatever the ebay sale gets.   They dont own the stuff, they just "move it" for the owner.  This is just another fence job.  Beware.

I understand eBay and craigslist are becoming the venue of choice when it comes to moving stolen goods and laundering cash.
It's sad that every new technology that rolls out gets exploited for some nefarious purpose or other.

JBD

Dude, that sucks!!  :sad:

jimh said:
http://www.chiptrac.co.uk/

I knew I'd seen this in one of the guitars mags somewhere and Violition's story triggered a thing in my brain.
Dunno if it's legit, and/or how available it is outside of the UK.  I havent used it nor do I know anyone who has used it, but if they can do it for pets, why the hell not instruments?

Not sure how many use it, but StewMac sells this.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Accessories/Security.html
I'm seriously considering one of these now.

jimh said:
:sad:

I feel for you bro......Bad times !

We got yo back though.  If it turns up we'll send DangerousR6 round with some 'toys' to nail the Bastard.

:(
Sorry to hear that man, that just suxxxxxx when stupid shitee like that happens.

Damn straigh.......Got 'em locked and loaded.....Just waiting for a reason to shoot some bastard....
MeARpistol.jpg

blue313 said:
Dude, that sucks!!  :sad:

jimh said:
http://www.chiptrac.co.uk/

I knew I'd seen this in one of the guitars mags somewhere and Violition's story triggered a thing in my brain.
Dunno if it's legit, and/or how available it is outside of the UK.  I havent used it nor do I know anyone who has used it, but if they can do it for pets, why the hell not instruments?

Not sure how many use it, but StewMac sells this.
http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Accessories/Security.html
I'm seriously considering one of these now.

Screw that, i can make a gps beacon (little larger ok a lot larger, but those cavities are big) for roughly the same price. and thats something i can "hunt" down, you could make it a field day with the cops, or go in vigilante style "Stranger Dangerous" in tow.  with that thing, you have to rely on shop owners, and the crooks to sell it to said shop owner.  Has anyone taken into account, that they might just steal it and keep it.
Im ok with cops, but somethings they just suck at, and they don't quiet have the jurisdiction to handle, but if you get some guns and muscle, and a gps tracker, when you knock on that little bastards door, comedy ensues. 

wouldn't the GPS beacon need quite a bit of battery juice?

im just asking because at this point if i DID have a gps beacon on that thing i'd be pretty giddy with excitement...

how about a hidden solar panel on the cavity plate, with rechargeable battery. yeah im just that crazy.
might not be enough room left for controls but your guitar will be safe.

any way, you can use your youtube video and channel as proof of ownership.

Volitions Advocate said:
wouldn't the GPS beacon need quite a bit of battery juice?

That and if it is big and obvious they would just take it off and ship it to Outer Mongolia.

I just use MusicPro insurance.  It won't get your custom-built axe back, but it will fund the next great adventure!

JBD

Spring loaded spikes in the trem cavity, activated by the trem lever (assuming you don't use the trem yourself, of course). A few grams of C4 hooked up to an extra mini switch labeled 'do not use'. Or always keep your axe together with a little practice amp that has the real input jack moved to a location out of view, and the visible one connected straight to mains. Would probably land you a liability trial, but the satisfaction would be enormous.

That really sucks. I hate reading stuff like this. Anyway, you might want to throw a post of your story on the MIMF.COM just in case. I tend to agree with the person who said it would probably be sold out as parts. I also agree with you that it may be someone who knows you that stole it. Hope you get er back soon. Good luck.

Offer a reward.  It's probably someone in your neighbourhood that has it...  doesnt know what it's worth or where to sell it except on ebay or a pawn shop... put up fliers stating that it is one of a kind, and authorities are on the lookout... offer $100.00 or so, no questions asked..  If they know about it, they will get a friend or relative to turn in the guitar....  worth a shot it seems to me, if the only goal is to get your guitar back... 
or so thats how it would work in crazy honest world... who knows, stranger things have happened. 
better to pay out $100.00 than for it to get crushed in a dumpster?

VA, I've just caught up with this Thread. Sympathy on your loss mate.

Everyone has had some very good suggestions that I couldn't add to. Love the notion of finding out who has the guitar now, and having Dangerous knock on the door at 1AM with a toy or two. That would be spectacular. :eek: :icon_biggrin:

But realistically, if the maggot who took your LP knows anything about guitars he'll soon realise it's unique, no serial number and hard to sell. But he may strip it for parts and offer those online somewhere, perhaps?

Silly enough I'd be listening hard when out in the street in your neighbourhood too. The moron who took your guitar might be very close by and may one day crank the LP up to see what it's like, if he's a player. I see from your YouTube vids that you have a reasonable ear and eye for detail, so I'm thinking your the kinda guy who would know what his LP would sound like.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crutch of the thief who took your LP.

That body will be impossible to move without you seeing it... I doubt if there's more than two or three korina dragonburst LPs in the world.  But watch carefully for that neck... what's it made of? 

ByteFrenzy said:
Spring loaded spikes in the trem cavity, activated by the trem lever (assuming you don't use the trem yourself, of course). A few grams of C4 hooked up to an extra mini switch labeled 'do not use'. Or always keep your axe together with a little practice amp that has the real input jack moved to a location out of view, and the visible one connected straight to mains. Would probably land you a liability trial, but the satisfaction would be enormous.

The best advice, yet.

I read somewhere you're allowed to defend your property with lethal force in Australian law... so booby trapping your car with poison gas is OK.  Not sure if it's true.

Back