Stewmac centered “Z” file.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Master Member
Just got mine in the mail, and I must say, this is a God Send.

I did 3 fret level/crown/polish jobs this week in the time that it would have taken me to do maybe 1.5. This kind of turnaround was really nice. I usually put customer guitars first over my own, but I was home this week for vacation and knocked me out. Did my Ibanez FRG7620 that is pictured in my avatar, my newly inherited Carvin DC727 from my deceased ex vocalist, and my recent roasted maple Tele replacement that went on “Kenny”, the buckskin Telecaster.

It has the narrow side, then the wide side. I started with the wide side, and then transitioned to the narrow side, with only about 8 long strokes per fret per profile, and the end result is a very, very fine intonation line top dead center of each fret. Now my intonation is noticeably improved all the way up the neck and the added pleasant surprise is in bending notes. They feel smoother, almost like playing on SS frets, even though these are not, but then again, I do spend considerable time polishing through 9 different grits of micro mesh per fret to get to that point.

Anyway, fantastic tool, well worth the investment.

Agree, the Z files are great. I use the Original, but have had a similar experience compared to traditional files.

Back