Fret End Dressing File... which do you swear by?

Nightsprinter

Everyone has their favorite brands in life. Like Warmoth for example 😁

In the realm of working on our own gear, we all gotta deal with finding which tools work for us. I have spent a lot of time and $ trying to find good reliable stuff that feels good in the hand and feel like I'm 90% there.

I'm still yet to find a fret end dressing file that I really bond with. I've purchased the usual cheap suspects on @mazon and the like and I've got the fretguru ultimate fret end file and the stewmac standard fret dressing file. The fretguru has a decent handle but I find the file itself to be rather timid. Conversely, the stewmac one has a good aggressive bite to it but WOW is it tiny and makes my hand ache a bit. it's possible my technique sucks, but I ask- is there a better fret end dressing file out there that minimizes stroke count and feels nice in the hand? Do one of the aforementioned ones I'm not totally sold on just simply work perfect for what you do?

Conversely, the stewmac one has a good aggressive bite to it but WOW is it tiny and makes my hand ache a bit.

Why not put a decent size wooden handle, for example, on the file that you like?

My view is buying good tools rather than cheap ones, in the end, if they get put to use, are a better value in the end. Of course, you need to use them enough times, and many people farm out the work if they will not be working on several jobs for themselves or others.

Reducing stroke count on a tool where the handle does not fit your hand may not be the best solution. This would suggest a coarser more aggressive file, though that can lead ultimately, e.g. with stainless, to even more work getting rid of the coarser file marks.

Why not put a decent size wooden handle, for example, on the file that you like?

My view is buying good tools rather than cheap ones, in the end, if they get put to use, are a better value in the end. Of course, you need to use them enough times, and many people farm out the work if they will not be working on several jobs for themselves or others.

Reducing stroke count on a tool where the handle does not fit your hand may not be the best solution. This would suggest a coarser more aggressive file, though that can lead ultimately, e.g. with stainless, to even more work getting rid of the coarser file marks.

Good point! I'm still rather new to the setup/tech stuff, and I hadn't thought of adding a nice handle!

I use the Stewmac file, too. I hold it like a violin bow as much as possible, with finger tips on the handle rather than a closed hand grip. I don't have it with me since it's at the shop at the other house, but this is a demo. Since it does have an aggressive cut, I don't have to apply so much pressure; the teeth do the work.

2023-12-16 15.18.40.jpg

Same with any of the other jeweler files I have. Light grip, let the tool do the work.

Back