Advice with Modern construction initial adjustment.

Can someone help clarify a few things for me? I just got around today to working on a build and have a modern construction neck I took delivery of a month or two ago. I noticed that as it was, while measuring with a notched straight edge, there was a hint of a backbow. So I backed the heel adjust off a bit and put it into neutral. The slight backbow still existed. So, thinking it is a true dual action truss rod, I backed the nut off expecting it to catch- but it doesn't. I didn't back it off all the way, but it appears like the nut will just thread right off like a single action would- i feel confident in this because it began to protrude from the heel and got looser and looser. Is this normal?

I then put slight tension back on the heel adjust nut and checked the side adjust mechanism. It also doesn't appear to catch counter clockwise, though I didn't torque on it and was being very careful and gentle to see how it works.

Am I misunderstanding the nature of modern construction or do I have an issue here?

This experiment was done without string tension. The frets need leveling so I was considering doing it neck-off presuming I could get the neck flat, but alas...

Can someone help clarify a few things for me? I just got around today to working on a build and have a modern construction neck I took delivery of a month or two ago. I noticed that as it was, while measuring with a notched straight edge, there was a hint of a backbow. So I backed the heel adjust off a bit and put it into neutral. The slight backbow still existed. So, thinking it is a true dual action truss rod, I backed the nut off expecting it to catch- but it doesn't. I didn't back it off all the way, but it appears like the nut will just thread right off like a single action would- i feel confident in this because it began to protrude from the heel and got looser and looser. Is this normal?

I then put slight tension back on the heel adjust nut and checked the side adjust mechanism. It also doesn't appear to catch counter clockwise, though I didn't torque on it and was being very careful and gentle to see how it works.

Am I misunderstanding the nature of modern construction or do I have an issue here?

This experiment was done without string tension. The frets need leveling so I was considering doing it neck-off presuming I could get the neck flat, but alas...

The modern construction, whilst it has two rods, only adjusts at one end, so in that sense it is not dual action.

You can see what it looks like here.

The modern construction, whilst it has two rods, only adjusts at one end, so in that sense it is not dual action.

You can see what it looks like here.

Hmm yeah I watched that this morning. So I guess having a slight backbow at neutral is no bueno then. I'm going to triple check (I have 3 notched straight edges by different manufacturers) and if it's not dead flat at rest, I guess I'll need to make a phone call.

Hmm yeah I watched that this morning. So I guess having a slight backbow at neutral is no bueno then. I'm going to triple check (I have 3 notched straight edges by different manufacturers) and if it's not dead flat at rest, I guess I'll need to make a phone call.

Have you checked also under string tension?

Back