Stereo Rig

vjm

I have a mesa lonestar and am looking to run it in stereo with another amp. Can someone please explain how the slave out function on the lonestar would come into play? From my understanding I could drive both amps from the LS slave out line into the effects return of second amp. This would bypass the premap of amp #2...but this action would bypass the effects loop of the LS...am I correct?? I am confused as to how to run my time based effects as I normally use them in the effects loop.

If you run the slave out (or effects send) from one amp to another, you're not going to get stereo. You'll just have two amps reproducing the same signal in the same time domain. You could accomplish the same thing by simply plugging in an extension speaker cabinet, albeit with less power.

If you want true stereo, you have to have a stereo signal to start with, and run each channel into its own amp/speaker setup.

It's worth noting that this is rarely a practical idea outside of the bedroom/basement. For one thing, stereo imagery is created naturally in live environments by a room's geometry and reflective qualities. For another, the separation on stage in a live environment is lost. It seems to be a monophonic source to the listener, outside of the room's influence.

It's always tempting to do, because if you've ever listened to a good stereo flanger/phaser/delay/reverb through a set of headphones or in a small room, it's really nice. Magical, even. But, in real life it's generally pointless.

As much as I enjoy messing around with my stereo set up at home, I have to agree with Cagey. A stereo rig is a relatively pointless endevour outside of a studio or your bedroom.... and in those two situations, you don't necessarily need an amplifier to be loud enough.

I live where it is not possible to play loud very often, so my amp usually stays off and most of the time I use headphones. This of course is a great situation for stereo. Even subtle stereo effects pedals can sound amazing through headphones.

I've run it both ways , true stereo which I do with my Bass where one channel goes through a Scholz Chorus/Delay and one clean  and Daisy chained for my guitar where I run the line out of my Mesa/Boogie into an ART FXR then into my Sovtek Mig 50 head /Marshall half stack .    Your ears are the best judge , it's subjective

Cagey and natthu are correct.
When I think stereo rig, I am using multiple sources using effects that utilize a stereo effect (such as a sweeping or ping-pong delay.) Much different than simply 2 sources.
In a live environment, its normally not worth the effort. The impact for the audience is not that great, not to mention potential phase issues.

Cagey said:
It's always tempting to do, because if you've ever listened to a good stereo flanger/phaser/delay/reverb through a set of headphones or in a small room, it's really nice. Magical, even. But, in real life it's generally pointless.
And then you go to a Pink Floyd concert and wonder how they do that.

Seriously, the Floyd concert I went to (granted, this was a LONG while ago) made me believe anything was possible, sound-wise. And I'm pretty sure this was not just the contact high one can receive at such event.  On the other hand, I'm pretty sure most people don't have the budget to do what they were doing at the time.

Jet-Jaguar said:
Cagey said:
And then you go to a Pink Floyd concert and wonder how they do that.

Seriously, the Floyd concert I went to (granted, this was a LONG while ago) made me believe anything was possible, sound-wise. And I'm pretty sure this was not just the contact high one can receive at such event.  On the other hand, I'm pretty sure most people don't have the budget to do what they were doing at the time.

Same thing happened to me at a Rush concert in 1989 - opening chords of Tom Sawyer really flew around the arena.  For a band and a gig that big, they just suspend a buncha loudspeakers at various points around the room, and the sound guy gets to go hogwild panning stuff around (or rather, as seems more likely with Rush, the sound guy followed a rigorously rehearsed script).  Totally cool, in any case.

grateful.jpg

Make enough LSD, you can achieve anything.

Back