Step by Step for Boonedog

Tonar8352

Boonedog asked me for the steps I took to do the 54 Style 2-Tone Sunburst Strat.  I thought the step by step was already posted but it must have been on the old board so here you go Boonedog.  

Here it is out of the box.  I love this piece of wood!!

IMG_0115.jpg

I used Jasco oil base paste filler. One filler coat, let it set a week to shrink then do a wash coat of lacquer.  Dry over night and level sand with 320.  Do another filler coat and let it set for a couple of days.  3 coats of lacquer with a 320 level sand between each coat to make sure the grain is filled. This is after filler.

IMG_0127.jpg

Next it gets a shaded coat of yellow lacquer.  I mix Dunn-Edwards Hansa Yellow “Color in Oil” in my McFadden’s lacquer. I used about a tablespoon of tint in the jar you see.

IMG_0038.jpg

Here it is with the yellow coat.

IMG_0039.jpg

I shoot a couple coats of clear and level sand before I shade the out side edge.  I use a Devilbiss EGA jamb gun to shoot the burst.  I mix black lacquer with some brown aniline from Luthiers Mercantile to get my color.  It helps to get you hands on a real 54 to match the color.  I can’t give you a formula I just matched a 54.

IMG_0044.jpg

I use the jack cup to determine the width of the dark band.  This is what it looks like.

IMG_0048.jpg

For the last color band I add more of the brown colorant to my dark and shoot the final shade.

IMG_0065.jpg

After that it get 6 to 8 really thin coats of clear McFadden's.  

IMG_00932.jpg

Wet sand, rub out, and its ready for final set up.

IMG_0203.jpg

Hope that helps you.  Good Luck!

Excellent, thanks for the tutorial, and it looks great!  Maybe one day I'll have a garage to do this sort of stuff in :D

Back