Step-by-step 1963 faded Tele Custom Finish

Looking good!! :)

Well, the plans of the Bender involved McVay benders, but they didn't answered the couple of emails I've send to them...
And there are other 800 reasons that for now, there is no bender on this road... :)

I got side tracked on this guitar when the gun decided to spit a big glob of black on the top the first time I bursted it so I had to sand back the top and start over. I got it bursted yesterday and it was worth the effort. I have the top binding completely scraped and the back partially scraped but I'll finish that today. After that, 4 coats of clear, wet sand, rub out and it's off to Brazil.
IMG_9764_zpsaac15bce.jpg
IMG_9765_zps284d5e1f.jpg

Fernando will be very pleased to have that beauty in his hands.  Lovely work as always, Tonar.  Thanks for sharing.

Tonar8353 said:
I got side tracked on this guitar when the gun decided to spit a big glob of black on the top the first time I bursted it so I had to sand back the top and start over.

Glad to see it happens to the best of us.....Not really. :laughing7:

Man that turned out great!!!

it is hard to tell from the photos, Satin finish??

Glad to see it happens to the best of us.....
Yes it happens :sad1:  here is what it looked like and how I fixed it.
IMG_9523_zps91265339.jpg

IMG_9525_zps2e725b84.jpg

Get out the DA Sander and some 220 hook and loop paper.
IMG_9527_zpsebe4b827.jpg

Two minutes later I am back to square one.
IMG_9528_zps3b577353.jpg

Nice work.  That is the benefit/detriment of nitro.  It melts to well together.  If the color would remain on the surface you may be able to spot sand.  Nitro requires a complete redo because it "sinks" into the finish.

I actually kind if like the one by the controls.  looks like a beauty mark in the wood.

Fantastic work as ever Tonar. I really like the way you shoot the sides/front and then back all in stages. Having just done my first sunburst, messed it up and started from scratch again (sob) I'll adopt your approach in future.

Btw did you seal the sides with clear once they were done? Now I'm cautiously approaching my second attempt, I want as many little insurance policies as I can fit in there!

I did seal the sides with clear after the black lacquer was sprayed and then they got additional clear coats after the yellow was sprayed.

:glasses9: cheers

PS: please keep these tutorial threads coming, they are a massive help to me and many others

Back