Step-by-step 1963 faded Tele Custom Finish

Tonar8352

Fernando has asked me to do this body as a 1963 Tele Custom with a faded burst. For those who don't know, on many vintage Fender guitars the red dyes they used were not color fast so it faded to brown. That is the look I'll be going for and here is what I'm starting with. Stay tuned and I'll add pictures at each step in the process.
IMG_9477_zpsb0fac836.jpg

IMG_9478_zps2df4676b.jpg

Someone said it before...but Tonar makes watching paint dry exciting,

swarfrat said:
Someone said it before...but Tonar makes watching paint dry exciting,

He's very good at it and is willing to pass along the knowledge, so that even if you never intend to do your own finish you still learn a lot about finishes. That's valuable in and of itself.

The level and concentration of talent on this forum has always amazed me. Such a resource!

Awesome.  I am putting in a request that you highlight you sanding and polishing techniques.

FernandoDuarte said:
:blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7:

I hear ya, my Brazilian brotha! -I'd be goin' just as crazy if I had a body in Tonar's  hands! What a treat that is gonna be! :toothy10:

OK, here we go with a step-by-step from prep to finish.
First a visual inspection. I use benzene/naphtha/lighter fluid/white gas, (what every you want to call it because it's all the same thing) to wipe the entire body down. This step will show me any sanding scratches or dings that need to be dealt with.
IMG_9479_zps9212c350.jpg

This body is in pretty good shape but a ding showed up at the neck pocket.
IMG_9480_zps0dc55f52.jpg

I steam these up with a  wet rag and a soldering iron. Be careful not to burn the wood unless your name is Great Ape.  :icon_thumright:
IMG_9482_zps94bb04ea.jpg

Next I do the final finish sanding with Norton 320.
IMG_9483_zps4d419da3.jpg

I always use sanding blocks to insure every thing stays level.
IMG_9484_zpsa565368e.jpg

For the sides and horn I use this round sanding block.
IMG_9487_zps010ea317.jpg

I also take a round item and wrap it with paper and roll the edges in the neck pocket. It is very hard to keep finish on the really sharp edges and this helps. I used a Sharpie pen for this one since I did not have any broken drum sticks laying around.
IMG_9488_zpsb69394ea.jpg

The last thing I do is hit it with compressed air and get rid of all the sanding dust. From this point on there will be no step I do that the surface does not get hit with compressed air first.
IMG_9485_zps3e707799.jpg

And now the wood is prepped and ready to begin the finishing steps.
IMG_9490_zps6093d057.jpg

Next I fill the alder with paste wood filler. Since alder is not an open grain wood it is generally not filled, but I have found that alder will suck finish for days unless I take the time for this step.
IMG_9493_zps02ff9e19.jpg

Here it is with one coat of lacquer and you can see all the finish is laying on the surface, nothing is sucking in so the filler did a great job sealing the wood!
IMG_9495_zpsb15ff569.jpg

Day-mun said:
I hear ya, my Brazilian brotha! -I'd be goin' just as crazy if I had a body in Tonar's  hands! What a treat that is gonna be! :toothy10:
No kidding! He is an artist! :)

Look the attention on details! This is a really professional guy!

After two coats of lacquer I sanded the sides level with out any burn through so I'm ready for the black lacquer on the sides. I did not sand the top or back level, I will sand them level after I spray the sides to eliminate any black over spray coming  from the sides. I do not want to tape off the top and back so this will save me a lot of labor.
First step is to tape of the binding.
IMG_9496_zpsfa3d379b.jpg

Next shoot the black lacquer. You can see some overspray on the top so I will let it dry for a day and then I'll sand the top and back and get ready to start the sunburst process.
IMG_9497_zpsa4e5e76e.jpg

Pull the tape and this is what it looks like.
IMG_9499_zps3a5ae907.jpg

Dang, I almost missed this entire thread as fast as it's going...
I always love following Tonar's threads as I have never seen anything but meticulous artistry at work :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
:kewlpics: :rock-on:

Here it is ready for the yellow color.
IMG_9500_zps68715507.jpg

I mixed this yellow to have a slightly aged look. Now it is ready for a few coats of clear and then I get onto the burst.
IMG_9501_zps18cc69b2.jpg

Warning! 

Nano is PMing me about how to install a bender into this guitar.

You have been warned.  :)

Everything I know about B-benders could be engraved on the head of pin with a blunt rock, but isn't now the time to do that? I mean, before the thing gets a fine finish?

Back