Starting out and ending up

Started out electric guitar with some cheap-ass solid state amp with a 6" speaker, a cheap-ass Explorer copy and a Korg tuner (thrown in for free!) ... bought it all from a buddy in highschool for $150 way back in 1984.

The guitar had a "whammy neck" - where you can easily bend the neck real good to do stuff like the intro to "Iron Man"... or worse.

Action had to be about a 1/2"... yeah.

It also had microphonic pickups - so much so that my guitar player buddy and I used to get together... he would play, I would sing into
the pickups.  Stuff like "Iron Man" (again), or the beginning of "Black Sabbath" ("what is this, that stands before me...)

(yeah we thought Black Sabbath was hysterically funny)

Man that guitar was a POS... eventually, I "graduated" to a lefty Kramer Baretta II (rock maple, man!) and a Crate 2X12 with built-in chorus!  Oh yeah.

And plenty after that - Marshalls, BOSS etc etc... had some Rockman 1/2 rack FX which I wish I hadn't sold (long chorus delay was/is phenomenal)... still have my Rockman X100B, tho...

Anyhoo, here's my main (dry) rig now (speaker is a Celestion Alnico Gold):

Rig1.jpg

Here's the rig with my main guitars:

Rig2.jpg

From the HotPlate line out to the "wet" part of my rig; owned this stuff since '89 when I got it new (ah, the hair metal days - remember ADA?) - these go to two 1X12s:

WetRig1.jpg

Here's my stompboxes (strictly OD/Dist - no FX - Wet rig provides all FX for live playing):

OD.jpg

All that goes into one or two SM57s, then into here:

EMU1820m.jpg

And then into my beast PC:

Puter.jpg

So yeah, definitely made some progress over the years LOL

Awesome gear Superlizard!  Get some non-backwards guitars and you're really in business ;)

Forgot to mention my current....

Guitar - 90% of the time a Strat variant, or a '54 Les Paul Custom Shop Jr/Sr mutant, or a '63 Firedbird III
Effects - Fuzz (Always first!)>Way Huge Tone Leper>Aramat Green Machine>Micro Vibe>Ibanez DE-7>ZVex SHO
Amps - Kendrick 2112(6V6) or 2112TC(6L6) and a Little Leilani rotary speaker fed by a Crate PowerBlock

dbw said:
Awesome gear Superlizard!  Get some non-backwards guitars and you're really in business ;)

Coooool - a full ADA rig!  I had forgotten about those!  And these kids these days with their modelers - what do they know  :icon_jokercolor: :icon_jokercolor:

Superlizard - so where are your recordings or sound clips so we can all hear that purple strat?

First guitar: Dean 6 string. The thing worked and still does, and I still play it every once in a while.
First electric: worthless "LP" copy with the worst whammy neck you've ever seen... The tuners must have been spring-loaded or something kuz I'd play a song, do so without bending, start in perfect tune, and wind up waayyy off...
First amp: Traynor YCV50BLUE.  :glasses9: For a cheap 14-year old like me the amp is simply amazing and that's what I'm using.

Current: Warmoth strat (I need to post it in the completed guitar section...)
I just ordered a wah and am super-excited.  :toothy10: I also want an overdrive or distortion (can't decide exactly what to get) so that I can run the two channels on my amp as different volume settings and use the pedal for overdrive. I'm thinking about getting a BBE Sonic Maximizer and maybe another cab...

I'm also starting to get the itch for a humbucker-equipped guitar so I think that in under a year I'll be planning a HH Tele, SG, or LP.

Superlizard said:
GoDrex said:
Superlizard - so where are your recordings or sound clips so we can all hear that purple strat?
  In my brain cuz I haven't done 'em... yet.

You've got clips stored in your brain? I'm impressed all my playing is random and on the spot I never think of stuff in advance. ;)

Nick Ellingworth said:
You've got clips stored in your brain? I'm impressed all my playing is random and on the spot I never think of stuff in advance. ;)

Yes, I learned this technique from the Nigel Tufnel Ministry of Music.

I started with a Sears (that's right, Sears) SG copy with microphonic pickups and a little solid state amp. 

Today, I have 8 Warmoths, 6 off-the-rack guitars, that get plugged either directly into my Peavey JSX 212, or via a Boss GT-10.  I also have an Ibanez bass that goes into a Fender Rumble 60.  When not playing the bass, my Boss Dr. Rhythm goes through the Rumble 60.

Back