Starting L5S

dogbone

The neck finally arrived but the body is in Vancouver Customs today.  I couldn't wait to get started on it.  Macassar Ebony fingerboard on mahogany with quilt maple veneer.  Thanks to the guys that posted on this website about tuner alignment on a Warmoth Peghead. 

I love that headstock veneer!  Whenever the customs guys get done with your body, we want to see that too!  Sounds like a cool project.

Oh man, I can't wait to see the body that matches that headstock  :rock-on: :rock-on:

At last a body to go with that neck.  I can't believe how light it feels.  The shop did a great job on the finish.  Only waiting on the pup's now - a pair of Seymour Duncan SH-1's.

That's a CRACKER of an L5!!! The headstock veneer...the body...the paint job...it's fantastic. I am going for a cherry sunburst on my L5....damn, I love that matching peghead, tho...
You going a full set of 59's? I'm going Phat Cats with mine :headbang1:...L5S's rule!! More pics!!

thanks for that post.  Pup's are in this Saturday.  I should have the final pics shortly afterwards.  Can't wait to hear it.....

I'll be looking forward to seeing your pic's.

You are indeed welcome, my rockin' friend... :headbang: There is bothing like when you first plug in the guitar you have been waiting to hear for the first time...it just gushes the love... :guitarplayer2: My L5 is my third Warmoth product (I have a strat and a tele)...when that Strat first made noise...you're gonna love it!

dbw said:
Oh man, I can't wait to see the body that matches that headstock  :rock-on: :rock-on:

Dude, that avatar of yours is a SMACKIN' Les Paul. Warmoth number, is she?

Wow...........nice looking body and neck.

From the bridge and tailpiece bolt studs, I presume you are using gold hardware ?

Do post pictures when the guitar is done.

I am still waiting for my L5s body and neck.  It has been well over 11 weeks !!!! (Spike, you reading this ? :))

Assembly complete except for the truss rod cover which is on order.  While waiting for the pup's I had all the other wiring done.  The schematic I was using was slightly different from the one provided by Seymour Duncan.  I found out the tone pots weren't working correctly so I had to do a little rework on the wiring.

The ebony fretboard is really smooth and plays great.  The tone is better than I ever expected.  It goes from warm & buttery to tons of bite & sustain with some overdrive & compressor.

I wanted to start on the wiring before the p'ups arrived so I got a schematic off the internet.  I think it was for an Epiphone Sheraton.  They had the capacitor off the tone pot tied to the volume pot lead with the wire from the pick up.  I installed the pick ups without looking at the wiring diagram from Seymour Duncan.  S.D. had the cap from the tone pot connected to ground.  When I first tried the tone knob it sounded like it only had two settings, on and off.  The moral of the story - read the directions.

Back