Starting jay4321 Tele

Ok so this neck is officially mine as of about 5 minutes ago. Ordered with 6150 frets and Earvana nut, and finally decided to just have Tonar do it all in nitro rather than the hybrid poly/nitro thing. I've been back and forth on it a half dozen times, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I don't mind wearing the neck down over time. So, nitro it is.

SN5790A.jpg

SN5790B.jpg

[/quote]

jay4321 said:
and finally decided to just have Tonar do it all in nitro rather than the hybrid poly/nitro thing. I've been back and forth on it a half dozen times, but the more I thought about it, the more I realized I don't mind wearing the neck down over time. So, nitro it is.

A good decision if you ask me.  :icon_thumright:

Here it is after the first tinting.  If Jay likes the color I’ll start clearing it.  I think I need to yellow it up a little.  Right now it is a really rich swamp ash color that looks like the lacquer has orange-ed up over the years. It looks great but what do you say Jay do you want it yellowed more?  I added the same picture at the front of this thread so you can compare the color to the body before tint and after.  Let me know.

IMG_3720.jpg

???

That doesn't appear to be the neck I ordered, check out the grain pattern

EDIT: It's def the wrong neck, the one I ordered is still up for sale. Don't start work on that Tonar, I'm not crazy about that grain on based on what I can see in the picture - I'll give you a ring tomorrow. That might be going back, but we'll see how I feel after getting a better look.

Jay

Wow!
Your right this does not match the neck that you have posted.  I have never seen this happen before. I’m glad you noticed since I just pulled it out of the box, took the picture and then put it out in the music room.  We’ll get it worked out. 

Yeah that grain up on the headstock/top of the fretboard is pretty nasty, I noticed almost immediately when I saw it.

Tonar8353 said:
Here it is with yellow tint. Check first post for side by side.

IMG_3728.jpg

Stop right there, that's perfect. It's got that golden yellow color nailed. For God's sake don't do a thing else to it man, just clear it

Max said:
Looks great!

How's the situation with the neck coming?

Yeah I don't know. There's another possible issue also I'm shooting Warmoth an email about, but in any case this neck definitely won't be used for this project based on the grain alone. Given Tonar's work there's no real excuse for this guitar to be anything less than perfect anyway.

J

Stop right there, that's perfect. It's got that golden yellow color nailed. For God's sake don't do a thing else to it man, just clear it
:icon_biggrin:

I think it looks real nice!!!!!

"Stop right there, that's perfect. It's got that golden yellow color nailed. For God's sake don't do a thing else to it man, just clear it"

+1  :icon_thumright:

Ok so we're moving ahead, it looks like we'll work something out with Warmoth but it will take a while to order & get underway again, etc. In fairness I should mention that Warmoth's records reflect that I actually ordered the wrong neck.

In the meantime we'll be busy getting some decals. I eventually decided to go with a regular Fender decal, but on the back of the headstock I'll do a little autograph just to make it a bit more custom-like. There are tons of "Fender-like" custom logos on people's guitars already, and my name doesn't look cool in any font.

Plus my initials are JMH, middle name Marshall (dad was a big you-know-who fan). So those are kind of "taken" already. :(

J

Update: Tonar has recieved the neck (the one I originally wanted). It appears I did order the incorrect neck, but by some miracle there turned out to be another issue that wasn't to the correct spec - Bob @ Warmoth took care of it, and in the end I wound up with the neck I wanted (the way I wanted it). Tonar has it and says it looks great.

SN5790A.jpg

J

More updates:

Tonar just tinted the neck, see heel for before & after colors:

neckheel.png

And bigger pics:

sigf.png

sig2g.png

He’s ready to clear, but one small decal is holding up the show. I have a Tele Deluxe decal for the front already, but want to do this little signature decal on the headstock reverse to personalize the thing a bit more. I saw a couple Fender signature models with this & thought it was a nice touch. From the plans:

sig3.png

Once I get that squared away we’re close to done. The hardware is ready. I'm probably not going to do any copper shielding or shielding paint for this particular project and see how that works out.

Back