standard thin neck contour

eiopago

i,
i`m about to buy a warmoth neck and body.
i have a jackson sl-1 and i love its neck profile ( .790 3rd fret - .850 12th).
now, among all warmoth neck back contours, the one with specs closer to my soloist neck is the standard thin ( .800 1st fret - .850 12th).
how does the warmoth standard thin compare in terms of feel and playability to the soloist one ?

does it feel beefier, more round or about the same ?

it feels flat at the beginning, and rounding out a bit more when you get up higher. I didnt like it at the beginning, but now I've grown a liking to it. I think your jackson neck is very much like this one, maybe a tad fatter.

eiopago said:
i,
i`m about to buy a warmoth neck and body.
i have a jackson sl-1 and i love its neck profile ( .790 3rd fret - .850 12th).
now, among all warmoth neck back contours, the one with specs closer to my soloist neck is the standard thin ( .800 1st fret - .850 12th).
how does the warmoth standard thin compare in terms of feel and playability to the soloist one ?

does it feel beefier, more round or about the same ?

I have a Jackson SL2H and the Warmoth standard thin feels pretty similar.  I love them both.

that`s what i thought.
by the specs, the warmoth standard thin should feel slightly fatter (at least in the first 5 frets).
i didn`t know it rounds up on the higher frets (after the 12th).
this is what`s holding me back, as i like the flatness of the jackson soloist neck especially after the 12th fret.
does the warmoth feel considerably rounder there or just a little bit, but still retaining the jackson flat feel?

I played a Jackson at the store today to compare it to the my Standard Thin and the Standard Thin does seem slightly beefier to me (a lot like an American Standard Strat.) I've never tried the Wizard contour before but it might be a closer match. Good Luck.

I kind of wish Warmoth offered a D shape or whatever type neck. Something flatter  - not round or pointy. It could still be fat but just flatter. I'd like that, but the standard thing is good for me too. I adapt to whatever neck I'm playing on.

so basically the standard thin is not a flat back shape, just thinner but still a C kind of shape.
that sucks and it means i`m gonna have to get the neck from Warmoth competitors (Musikraft)...

"so basically the standard thin is not a flat back shape, just thinner but still a C kind of shape.
that sucks and it means i`m gonna have to get the neck from Warmoth competitors (Musikraft)..."

I've bought Musikraft necks and used them on a couple of builds and an upgrade, and before you run off and buy one, be advised:

1.) The neck butt angle is machined for a Musikraft body; to get two to set up properly on Warmoth bodies and one on a Fender American Strat upgrade the back of the neck but had to be sanded back a partial degree to get them to set up without further issues. Unless you have a LOT of experience you need to have access to a luthier who can do this job for you. You need to do this PRIOR to finishing the neck, as you will get some sand through at the upper portion of the neck butt that can be viewed from the rear of the guitar
2.) No side adjuster; there's an upcharge to get an top adjusting truss rod.
3.) Corollary to 2.), these necks are no where near as stable as Warmoths and DO require seasonal adjustments, making item 2.) more of a pain in the ass if you have to pull the neck to readjust a couple of times a year or more frequently.
4.) On average you don't get as pretty of wood as with Warmoth at same price point.
5.) Warranty is 90 days, rather than a year
6.) As far as I could  figure out all communications are handled via email/snail mail so if you run into any issues this becomes problematic.

eiopago said:
so basically the standard thin is not a flat back shape, just thinner but still a C kind of shape.
that sucks and it means i`m gonna have to get the neck from Warmoth competitors (Musikraft)...

dude. its so flat, I can put on a quarter without it falling off...

Mine is not flat - there is no spot on the playing part of the neck that a quarter can rest flat. It seems a little flatter past the 12th fret postition but still not flat. I have a wizard type neck and it's much flatter - - though it's not a Warmoth so I can't say their would be the same.

Back