Staining poplar is unpredictable

tfarny

Master Member
These two are after using the pre-stain conditioner (to even absorption) before stain. Notice the weird light horizontal bands on the back.

This is why I always say poplar is a gorgeous wood.

...when it's under a solid color.  :icon_biggrin:

This is after two coats of Minwax "dark walnut" stain. Some of the grain and all of the end grain went black immediately. Other spots are really resisting stain. The front looks okay but I'm not that happy about it, the back looks kind of weird to me. I put on a third coat of the stain but it didn't do much. Wondering if I should continue with the same color or go to something lighter. I'm not after anything unusual, just an easy finish.

Alder was far easier to work with. Now I see why most poplar just gets a solid color.

tfarny said:
Wondering if I should continue with the same color or go to something lighter. I'm not after anything unusual, just an easy finish.

I had the exact dilemma! DON'T try to sand it down! I spend a week sanding it down, but it is almost impossible to get the stain out of the end grain..
I kept on going and ended up sanding too much off the heel!!
so finally I gave up and ended up staining it dark again.

and yes, Poplar sure is unpredicable when it comes to stain :)

Marko, because of your great post I used the pre-stain conditioner. If it did help, it's hard to see how. Check out how it blackened half of one side. I did apply the stain pretty evenly, too, and this is the third or fourth stain job I've done, so I know it's not me. Worst case, I keep staining till it's nearly all black.

2810703.jpg

I don't think it looks that bad at all, but there's no shame in calling it a day and going with a solid color.

tfarny said:
Marko, because of your great post I used the pre-stain conditioner. If it did help, it's hard to see how. Check out how it blackened half of one side. I did apply the stain pretty evenly, too, and this is the third or fourth stain job I've done, so I know it's not me. Worst case, I keep staining till it's nearly all black.

haha, I intended to use a pre stain conditional (the one from woodburst) on mine, but on the day I started working it, I noticed that there were all kinds of fuzzy things floating in the bottle, so I decided to not use it. ok, maybe I was just impatient or lazy.

I like how it's kinda got that weathered look about it. I have a Jackson Dinky in swamp ash that looks similar...I say don't fret over it and let it be... :dontknow:

It actually looks pretty cool.  Almost like walnut.  The best thing about poplar is it's slightly cheaper than dirt, so you can experiment all day and not have to worry! :)

I've got six coats of stain on it now, I'm feeling better about it. No inclination to futz around on this either, especially after Marko's story. Besides that, I have no place to spray anyhow and I'm not about to slap on some house paint. Tomorrow I'll start the clear (minwax wipe on poly). I've decided to go with Bill Lawrence, maybe the twin blade types, on this one.

I'm down to either white pearloid or simple black for a pickguard, whaddaya reckon? This pic is with I think three coats, it's much darker now.

your patience and effort is really paying off.  If the back still isn't looking right you might want to consider a black burst on the front and solid black back.  Poplar takes paint really well.

I've tried commercial pre-stains before, on alder and parawood but never on poplar.  Poplar end grain is a sponge for anything with color. 

IMO they work ok at best, slightly better if you use a gel stain.  I've found better results from dilute hide glue or wash coat thinned shellac.

My current favorite approach to hard to stain wood is dilute hide glue (I make my own from unflavored gelatin) followed by water based dye stain, then a coat of colored shellac (I'll use orange, garnet, or clear w/transtint added depending on my final goal.)

Looks good on this last pic! I would let it in this way... I would buy both perloid (or white single-ply) and the black pickguard, to see which looks better...
cheers

I think it looks great! 

It's like playing that hot and loud solo and then you hit a wrong note.  The rule is hit that note again and people will think you did it on purpose!

Back