Spertzel routing - 13/32 vs. 25/64

TheDrizzle

I just got a call from my guitar tech - apparantly the Spertzel tuner holes in the W necks are routed at 25/64, but the Spertzel sites say they need a 13/32 hole to fit the TrimLok tuners.

Does that 1/64 make a difference?  Is this something I should be worried about/contacting W about?  I just placed an order last night for a neck with Spertzel routing.

Thanks

1/64 inch works out to 0.396 milometers.  If it actually needs to be larger that's not very much sandpapering to get it to fit.  On the other hand that's not terribly oversize if it's the other way around.

It's also possible that Sperzel has changed their tuner spec since W last measured them, or that trimloks are slightly fatter.  Either way you go ought to be fine.  When in doubt you could call for a quick, probably verified, answer.

I recently put Sperzels in a neck that Warmoth drilled to 25/64 and it was completely fine. Not even a bit tight.

:dontknow:  Never heard of Spertzel .... kind-of sounds like pretzels  :laughing7:

I have used Sperzel tuners on ALL my Warmoth necks ..... 15+ necks  :doh:
All were drilled as 25/64

Only had to use sandpaper around a pencil, once.
That was on a custom ordered neck and the tuner holes were done before the finish was applied.

All good here with 25/64 for Sperzel tuner holes  :icon_thumright:

My last neck was drilled for Schaller (25/64) and when I replaced the Schaller with Gotoh SG38 ( 26/64 ) all it took was a bit of thumb pressure to get them into the holes, not even a lot of pressure, just a bit of a push.

Thanks all.  I did wind up calling, and basically the sales guy said that he has never heard of problems installing tuners, and the slight difference may be because Warmoth is fond of well fitting parts, and having that nice tactile feel of a part that fits securely.

Maybe someone at W did a test and found that the extra 1/64 actually gives it a more snug feel.

Either way, crisis averted!  Thanks again.

I ordered an unfinished maple neck and it came in today.  It's getting Sperzels, so I spec'd Sperzel's size of 13/32 and the bushings fall in with a bit of slack, so Warmoth's recommendation of 25/64 is probably best.

OK cool.

I'm really impressed that Warmoth actually drills a bit smaller than the actual manufacturers specs to give a better fit.  Would be an easy out (and completely acceptable) to just use the recommended size.

I installed them, using the jig Stewmac sells for the setpin.  Even on the unfinished neck with 13/32" I.D., they were snug with no movement before the bushing was installed.  Long story short, you'll be fine either way.  Better to be small and go bigger than the other way around.

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
I ordered an unfinished maple neck and it came in today.  It's getting Sperzels, so I spec'd Sperzel's size of 13/32 and the bushings fall in with a bit of slack, so Warmoth's recommendation of 25/64 is probably best.

Off-topic, but how were you planning on finishing that neck? Reason I ask is I've recently done a couple Maple necks in the house, one with oil (boiled linseed) that turned out miserably, and one with Behlen's Master Gel that turned out great. Wipe it on, forget about it for 4 hours, lather/rinse/repeat about 4 or 5 times, and it's gorgeous! Very hard semi-gloss finish, and it's poly so it'll take all sorts of abuse. Something to think about.

TheDrizzle said:
I'm really impressed that Warmoth actually drills a bit smaller than the actual manufacturers specs to give a better fit.  Would be an easy out (and completely acceptable) to just use the recommended size.

That's a Good Thing. There's a common misconception about how holding the strings tight to the nut does good things for sustain and tone, but that doesn't make any sense. There's roughly 115 pounds of pull on the tuners all told, and what? 10 pounds of downforce on the nut? Tops? You want your tuners tight. That's where the strings connect to the neck, not at the nut. The nut's just for maintaining spacing.

Cagey said:

Off-topic, but how were you planning on finishing that neck? Reason I ask is I've recently done a couple Maple necks in the house, one with oil (boiled linseed) that turned out miserably, and one with Behlen's Master Gel that turned out great. Wipe it on, forget about it for 4 hours, lather/rinse/repeat about 4 or 5 times, and it's gorgeous! Very hard semi-gloss finish, and it's poly so it'll take all sorts of abuse. Something to think about.

I'm voiding the warranty.  I'm just doing a lemon oil finish.  10% probability of warping means 90% probability it won't.  I've done several coats, several times a day until it can't hold anymore, then I do it again.  It's darkened quite a bit, and I've been putting it in the sun to darkened the figuring.  I know it will still get dingey, but I'll give it a naptha and more lemon oil treatment.  My logic is the iodine preventing radiation poisoning approach.  It will be so full of lemon oil, it will absorb less of my oils.

If I was going to discard the warranty and risk losing the neck, I'd just burnish the thing and call it a love story. "Lemon oil" is usually just mineral oil with lemon scent added. It's life expectancy doesn't even compete with fruitflies. In the rare instance that it's actually oil from lemons, it has no real finishing qualities to it. When it's added to furniture polish, it's just for the scent, not any magical properties.

For as hard as it is, Maple is squirmy stuff. That's why Warmoth won't warrant it without a hard finish. You may beat the odds, and if so, that's happiness. Personally, it's taken me a long time, but I've learned not to tempt fate.

R6 has one with the same treatment that's been fine for years.  I've seen Max's with no finish, and it looks like it.  I have a 90s MIJ Strat I took the finish off in '97, and it's fine.  I searched for which lemon oil to use and which compounds to avoid.  The odds are 90% in my favor, so I'm not looking to beat them.  The lemon oil isn't so much to protect or finish it, rather with my iodine analogy, displace most of my hands oils by getting there first.  Also, it serves to darken it and not be so blinding white.  It'll be fine, and if not, I'll get another.  These necks do bolt on afterall.

It'll be fine, and if not, I'll get another.  These necks do bolt on afterall.

Good point, and one I made recently to another customer who wanted a full re-fret on an old rag ride of a neck. For what it would cost to do that, you can have a new neck. Not that I charge a lot, but fully fretted new necks just aren't that expensive any more if you're happy with Rosewood over Maple. Hell, I just bought a fretted Pau Ferro over Maple neck with gold frets not too long ago for less than $200 from Warmoth. Where are you going to get a re-fret for that kind of money?

Years ago when I was first learning of Warmoth, I bought a used Strat in need of refret.  The price I thought was astronomical, and I said I could get a new neck with new frets, and have it set up for less.  He agreed, but said there's no guarantee you'll like the new neck and if it has sentimental value, then....

No surprise. It's in the guy's best interest to talk you out of a new neck. He's not selling new necks. He's selling a re-fretting service.

Well, a used guitar with new owner wouldn't have sentimental value.  The seasoned vet with a Strat he bought new in '64, or hand me down from a now deceased relative, he'd pay for that refret before ever considering a new neck.

I've quibbled with myself over this new neck = why bother doohickie for a while. The reason I still think there may be merit is just that, of all the artists who are endorsing signature guitars, a very high percentage of them are still playing the original prototypes. And not just Keith Richards gooning around, but some very practical people who are not likely to do things that make own job harder, like Steve Morse, Steve Vai, John Petrucci; Jeff Beck's been moving the same neck around for 15 or 20 years. Morse and Petrucci got a little nudge from Ernie Ball to endorse upgraded wall candy, but they revert back to the originals as soon as they can. I understand "great" rock stars like Joe Perry and John Mayer who play a different guitar for almost every song, but when you move up the next echelon to "really great" - Morse - Beck - McLaughlin etc. - they get quite adamant about staying put and getting everything out of as few guitars as possible. Morse had one neck refretted eight times before Sterling Ball finally yanked out the carpet.

Back