Spalt LP Carved Top

simple

Staff member
OK, I'm probably going to get in trouble for this, but you guys have got to see it. Usually, Spalt Maple is not solid enough to make a Carved Top LP out of, but today I found out that one was being made from a piece that was perfect density to pull it off. This is something you cannot order, and I have never seen one made at Warmoth. I have seen other companies produce them on a limited basis but I bet they shouldn't be because of the sponginess of the wood available. This one is an awesome piece with some flame figuring even present on the top and a Mahogany back. It's headed to the Showcase unless I buy it first!   :laughing11:  Somebody shoot me before my wife does! Look at this!
0607071519.jpg

0607071520.jpg

Gregg, would you like some cherry flavored oil on that gun barrel, that regular gun oil is bitter.

That is a sweet looking piece o wood. Do you guys get a discount? I bet it's a great place to work , and everyone there has twenty one of a kind guitars?

When will you guys open a shop in the Portland area?

John

That's a beautiful top!
I would be interested if there was a hollow option (don't have a hollow guitar) and there was not mahogany at the back, I have a mahogany guitar!

Gregg Stewart said:
It's headed to the Showcase unless I buy it first!   :laughing11:  Somebody shoot me before my wife does! Look at this!
0607071519.jpg

0607071520.jpg

Hey Gregg,

If your wife shoots you, can I have the burl maple table top and your VW? (guitar, not car....) <grin>

-Eric.

Starting to look good....must.......not............buy................must.............pay...............bills..............must..........can't........uh....... :help:
newlp.jpg

It's getting Ivoroid binding and think the only finish you can really do it justice with is a clear gloss. Light honey burst maybe?  :icon_scratch:

Gregg Stewart said:
It's getting Ivoroid binding and think the only finish you can really do it justice with is a clear gloss. Light honey burst maybe?  :icon_scratch:

Either that, or just a slight amber yellow.

How long till it's in the showcase?

What's the process for obtaining wood?  you got scouts? word of mouth? regular suppliers?

I hope I'm not alone here, But I'm interested in the behind the scenes of warmoth  ie timelines from receiving wood till the parts are in showcase,  And when something special shows up , are there 8 guys standing arround oohing and aweing till the foreman yells  Hey Back to Work!

I am so glad your a part of this forum Gregg, I love the Insight you add.

Keep it up  John

I'm not a  big fan of binding, but if its gonna get binding, try black

I was also thinking an amber or pale yellow burst might look good

John

Alfang said:
How long till it's in the showcase?

What's the process for obtaining wood?  you got scouts? word of mouth? regular suppliers?

I hope I'm not alone here, But I'm interested in the behind the scenes of warmoth  ie timelines from receiving wood till the parts are in showcase,  And when something special shows up , are there 8 guys standing arround oohing and aweing till the foreman yells  Hey Back to Work!

I am so glad your a part of this forum Gregg, I love the Insight you add.

Keep it up  John
We just use our regular suplliers that we've built relationships with over decades.
Showcase items can take months to get to the Showcase since parts are put aside idefinately as customer build to order manufacturing takes priority.
Yes, there is a definately a good amount of ooogling going on all the time. You should see the customer orders that we build that you never see....just amazing stuff.
The pleasure is all mine being a part of this forum. I see us all as a brotherhood of like-minded guitar sickos!   :laughing7:  ..it's just way too cool to build custom guitars!   :eek:ccasion14:

silly question here:

Is spalted wood just.. found? or is it something you purposefully set aside to let rot a bit before you use it?

I love the look of it.  I've also seen some Korina guitars int he showcase that have the same effect on them though.. Id kill for a guitar like that..  oh.. oops.. i was supposed to use my inside voice.

.. okay i just checked. the LPs that had the cool korina figuring are gone from the showcase. lucky guys whoever bought 'em.

CLEAR!!! Is almost a mortal sin paint this baby! :laughing3:
I don't like black binding, anyway....

Gregg, you mentioned we oughta see some of the customers orders that are never in the showcase, I have built 4 guitars from the showcase, two unfinnished, and two finnished, I think the showcase stuff is top notch, But I would love to see some of the special custom order stuff, is there anyway some of the really nice stuff can be showcased, just as an example of what could be?

John

Back