Sonc Blue strat build #1! - Update: FINISHED! NEW PICS!

CrackedPepper said:
boredstate said:
already rolled the fingerboard edges, tru-oiled & waxed the neck up, & lemon oiled the fretboard!  ambered up the neck a touch & darkened up the fretboard.. the grain is poppin!  

Was it the lemon oil that darkened the fretboard or did you do something else?

lemon oil

back2thefutre said:
Alfang said:
back2thefutre said:
you hit a homerun on that one dude :headbang: I never understood why people put locking tuners on hardtails, but whatever floats your boat.

I'll never understand why some people can't understand the beauty of locking tuners in any application.  And your "whatever floats your boat" statement is Is childish
uhhh, now that was really childish of YOU. Have a nice day though :eek:ccasion14:

Lets not argue in front of such a beautiful Strat.

boredstate said:
back2thefutre said:
you hit a homerun on that one dude :headbang: I never understood why people put locking tuners on hardtails, but whatever floats your boat.

thanks!   it's a convenience/already-had-them-lying-around thing on the tuners
I guess I need to apologize for my "whatever floats your boat remark". I didn't mean it in a bad way. I REALLY like your guitar :icon_thumright:

Alfang said:
back2thefutre said:

I'll never understand why some people can't understand the beauty of locking tuners in any application.  And your "whatever floats your boat" statement is Is childish

+1 on the use of locking tuners for any application.  My tele stays in tune far better than without them.  I will use them on all future builds.

I really think they had the specs listed wrong on the website. I'm convinced this isn't ziricote. it looks more like a rosewood species.   i've seen other ziricote boards, like the one in the fralin tele build, and the grain is quite obvious.   not that i'm complaining, i'd prefer a brazilian rosewood board (which is what i'm thinking mine actually is, but i'm no expert) and i love the grain on mine..  i had previously said it looks like pau ferro, but it usually has a red hue to it, which this one does not..  thoughts?

pre-oiled:
DSC_8436.jpg

DSC_8437.jpg

Brazilian Rosewood can look like that sometimes. But what does it feel like? Zircote and Pau Ferro will feel very smooth like ebony, but rosewood is stickier.

forgot to say, I love this guitar.. this would be exactly like my take on a modern version of a '60s strat!

well, a slight change of plans.. ordered a new tortoise shell pickguard from warmoth and a couple of push/push pots..  also ordered a set of graphtech ferraglides and a duncan custom 5 trembucker for the bridge. so i'm stuck waiting for all of this to arrive.. :sad1:

one of the problems i ran into was that my bridge pickup is way too narrow for the vintage string spacing.. the high & low E's pass just outside of the poles, so i ordered the trembucker for a better alignment and a pickguard to accommodate it .. the plan now is to have the tortoise pickguard, a black custom 5 trembucker in the bridge, the cream '59 in the neck, master vol/tone controls with push/push pots for coil tapping, 3-way switch, black knobs & switch tip. full-on rivers style! 

new (shitety cell phone) progress pics:
pickguard holes drilled, lining up the jack plate holes:
a646e2af.jpg

top screw hole drilled, jack plate placed on top for alignment:
b728fc8f.jpg

both holes:
3284b911.jpg

extreme anxiety over, for now!
5bfe2f49.jpg

getting close!

new pickguard, new graphtech ferraglide saddles, new custom 5 trembucker.. '59 in the neck.. dual push/push pots.. just gotta get it wired up then it's off for neck attachment, nut install, & setup!!!

DSC_8647.jpg

DSC_8635.jpg

DSC_8634.jpg

Nice!

I love building guitars.

And reading about building guitars.

And seeing other people's WIP.

Back