Some guy trying to sell a warmoth for 4200 USD.

The Norwegian Guy

Well. I was checking out some norwegian "buy and sell" sites, and did a search for warmoth just for the fun of it.

Someone is trying to sell a warmoth strat for 4200 USD... :icon_scratch:

Specs:
Core body wood - unknown
Body finish - candy red
Wilkinson and Sperzel hardware.
Ken Armstrong pickups (He claim that KA wound these himself - well good for him)
Neck wood - 3A Birdseye maple (he claim that it's a fine mixture of flame maple, quilt maple and birdseye maple)

00_1542839805.jpg

00_-514134658.jpg

00_-448592892.jpg

00_-1643318857.jpg

I bet I could put this guitar together for 1500 USD. Resale value? 8-900 USD?

The guitar is good looking, but it's nothing extraordinary about it.

I have to add that gear is way more expensive in Norway than the rest of the world. But I still find this crazy... :laughing11:

You should send one of your girls over to charm him, then you can sneak in and make off with it while he's distracted. :eek:ccasion14:

The Norwegian Guy said:
I bet I could put this guitar together for 1500 USD. Resale value? 8-900 USD?
The guitar is good looking, but it's nothing extraordinary about it.

I think you're right; I can't imagine it costing more than $1,500 to build, probably less, and would probably sell for between $700-$900 if it really turned somebody on. And it's true that it's a good-looking piece - anybody should be happy to have such an instrument - but there's nothing breathtaking about it. So, who knows what they guy is thinking? Some people have different ways of valuing things. I've got a buddy who owns a pile of guitars, most of them junk, but he's convinced they're all three or four times more valuable than they are and nothing will change his mind. I stopped arguing with him years ago. If it makes him happy to think some goofy Guild copy of something else is worth a bajillion bucks, let him.

Ol' Ben Franklin used to say: "The worth of a thing is the price it will bring." Truer words were never spoken. You can place whatever value you want on a thing, but it's real value in the marketplace is only what the market will give you. Anything past that is just mental masturbation.

Sometimes I wonder if these things are just a case of 'see honey I tried to sell it and nobody was interested'

swarfrat said:
Sometimes I wonder if these things are just a case of 'see honey I tried to sell it and nobody was interested'

That's an interesting thought. Another would be the old "nothing ventured, nothing gained" rule. You never know what's going to trip somebody's trigger. Some rich guy's kid with more money than brains gets a hard-on for a guitar that looks exactly like that one, and money means nothing. Gotta have it.

Plus, look what the major OEMs get for some of their offerings. An off-the-rack Les Paul Custom lists for ~$5,000, typically sells for ~$3,500. And go check the price lists for Framus guitars one day when you're bored and need a shock. What color is the sky in their world?

I was more or less joking, though it is quite plausible. I suspect a slightly more likely scenario is 'That's my if you want it that bad I'll sell it for that price' .  Maybe I should just keep a running ebay ad on all my gear like that. It's not really for sale, but if you want to give me that for it, it is.  Separating fool from their money is an honorable tradition if done without deceit. If someone is willing to pay that, it's almost like your DUTY to relieve them of the cash.

Between the decal and the VERY buyer-specific color scheme, I think anything north of US $550 might be a bit optimistic the way things are right now.

I know a local luthier who bought a soloist, neck & hardware from Warmoth, put it togther & slapped his own decal on it & was trying to sell it for $3,200 & pass it off as a custom made guitar.

I mean, technically it wasn't an off the shelf model & somewhat custom built, but $3,200 for something that cost him around $1,500 is criminal. Last I saw, it was still hanging in his shop, unsold.

Theres a few buy and sell sites out there like craigslist that are free to post something for sale.

So if I could sell a guitar on there for $4200, I'd be doing it all the time, If I could get $2000, i'd do it all the time, Hell if I could make $100 on each build, I'd have me a small business going

Throwing the word "custom" on home-built guitars doesn't qualify as a value add. When I see people on eBay take that angle, my first impression is that they're FOS and not worth bothering with.

Aren't most people just more comfortable dealing with Joe Average eBay Guy selling his lightly-used Warmoth Strat, rather than Random Guitar Assembler Guy telling you about his amazing custom model?

And if you think guitars are bad, see how some people price their homes when they sell them. Stunning how many people think that what they owe has anything to do with their homes' value.

Have a neighbor with her condo unit on sale for $169k, which was high-end [in terms of price] at the height of the boom years ago. It's overpriced by probably $65k in today's market, maybe more if not in great condition. Talked to her briefly (we have identical-layout units) but she can't understand why she only got a couple laughable lowball offers months ago, and no one since. Our development isn't selling well even after factoring in the overall real estate picture, and there are comps in foreclosure, some short sales listed at $90k and a little less even. Doesn't matter, she thinks she's doing people a favor by lowering it from the $180k she wanted. LOL?

Once some people have an idea in their head about the worth of their stuff, nothing will change their mind. I wish I'd gone to school for psych, I'd love to research market psychology in real estate.

There's a very simple explanation for that, Jay. If she sold it for market value, she would be wrong. 80 thousand dollars worth of wrong. There's no way that's possible, obviously.

I guess. To me she's just one less person I'll have to compete with. Nice lady just a little clueless... though something tells me that she would suddenly comprehend these market-value concepts if she were to start house-shopping herself.

However with some of these custom builds I see on eBay, some of the sellers seem to be more shady than dumb. Nothing wrong with getting as much money as you can, but a few of the item descriptions get a little carried away. Give me a bunch of good photos and tell me every spec on the thing, and stop trying to convince everyone you're a skilled custom shop.

I checked the article (http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/tilsalgs/annonse?finnkode=25278100), and that guy really did some overpricing. (Oh, and it's more like 3900$, not 4200$ :icon_tongue:)

While searching for Warmoth, I found this: http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/tilsalgs/annonse?finnkode=25458427, which has a WAY more realistic price (about 1600$). He also said that the original cost was 16-17000 NOK(includes a Gibson case for 2500NOK/500$), which is ways more realistic than the price the other guy gave.

And, if I had the money, I would actually buy that LP. It costs quite a bit less than a new Warmoth, and it is very much like how I would want it. This might make me look a little "cheap", but, I'd rather want to try the legendary "Warmoth"-quality before I spend the same amount of money I'll be using on a (used) 125cc motorcycle (it's legal for 16 year olds to drive up to 125cc, you have to be 18 to get the car-license, and over twenty, or something to be allowed to get a full-size-motorcycle).

Oh, and sorry for the long, and slightly offtopic rant. :icon_jokercolor:

It's tough to tell whether or not it makes you look "cheap" since it's highly unlikely anybody but you and the other Norwegian guy can read those posts. While many in the world are multi-lingual, Americans are generally English readers and that's the end of their literacy capabilities <grin>

I can say that if $500 sounds "reasonable" to you for a Gibson case, you're probably deprived. I wouldn't give $500 for most Gibson guitars, let alone the cases, especially since you can get flight cases for a fraction of that cost, and more traditional hard shells for even less. Figure $50 to $75.

Big V - AKA "The other guy from Norway" said:
I checked the article (http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/tilsalgs/annonse?finnkode=25278100), and that guy really did some overpricing. (Oh, and it's more like 3900$, not 4200$ :icon_tongue:)

While searching for Warmoth, I found this: http://www.finn.no/finn/torget/tilsalgs/annonse?finnkode=25458427, which has a WAY more realistic price (about 1600$). He also said that the original cost was 16-17000 NOK(includes a Gibson case for 2500NOK/500$), which is ways more realistic than the price the other guy gave.

And, if I had the money, I would actually buy that LP. It costs quite a bit less than a new Warmoth, and it is very much like how I would want it. This might make me look a little "cheap", but, I'd rather want to try the legendary "Warmoth"-quality before I spend the same amount of money I'll be using on a (used) 125cc motorcycle (it's legal for 16 year olds to drive up to 125cc, you have to be 18 to get the car-license, and over twenty, or something to be allowed to get a full-size-motorcycle).

Oh, and sorry for the long, and slightly offtopic rant. :icon_jokercolor:

He lowered the price after my email confrontation. And the price was originaly 4200.

Back