Some good buys can be had in the Screamin' Deals section

DocNrock

In my closet is sitting a quartersawn maple angled strat neck with an ebony fingerboard and phenolic dots.  It has gold frets and a gold Warmoth logo already on it.  This was temporary neck for a previously built Strat.  I needed to find a body for it.  Nothing too fancy, since the neck has the phenolic dots, but would have to go with gold hardware, since the neck already has gold trimmings.  I was thinking about one of the poplar bodies and just have W paint it a standard color, which would bring the price to $310.  Then, for a bit more change, I saw a rear-routed Mahogany strat body with a flamed Meranti top, clear brown back finish with burstover, trem routed.  No brainer there...SOLD! (to me).  :laughing7:

I'd never heard of Meranti before.

mirantif.jpg

merantib.jpg

meranti1.jpg

This might be too nice for the old neck in the closet.   Hmmmm.

DocNrock

I think so too, Max.  Then again, I just ran across this:

http://www.warmoth.com/showcase/sc_guitar_necks.cfm?type=guitar&itemNumber=SN5327&menuItem=1&subMenuItem=1&subMenuItem2=0&nutWidth_filter=2&orientation_filter=1&backContour_filter=1&radius_filter=1&nofret_filter=1

Hmmm?

DocNrock

I think you're right.  That neck would detract from the Meranti top.  The bocote neck needs to be the star of its own build.

blue313

Ahh, the Strat neck emerges!  I was wondering what you had cooking for that Doc.

As far as the Bocote neck goes, I like it but I'm also having trouble thinking of a winning combo for something that wild.  I thought you were into plainer fingerboards though.

DocNrock

Blue313 said:
Ahh, the Strat neck emerges!  I was wondering what you had cooking for that Doc.

As far as the Bocote neck goes, I like it but I'm also having trouble thinking of a winning combo for something that wild.  I thought you were into plainer fingerboards though.

Good memory, Dan.

It depends upon the build.  A loud fingerboard is OK, as long as it is the focal point of the guitar.  I agree with Nick that the bocote would clash with this body.  Plain or subtle neck/fingerboard when the body is nicely figured.

DangerousR6

Beautiful strat there Doc, Meranti is bitchin', I've seen a few of them floating around.  :icon_thumright:

I too have been watching the Screamin' deals, I have a acual Fender strat neck maple/pau ferro that needs a body...

R

RLW

DangerousR6 said:
I too have been watching the Screamin' deals, I have a acual Fender strat neck maple/pau ferro that needs a body...
I bet you could make this one real purty...

DangerousR6

Well Doc, to entertain your thought of a different neck. Here ya go, we got Pau, goncalo (sounds like a disease), canary and walnut/ebony...
mirantif-p.jpg

mirantif-g.jpg

mirantif-c.jpg

mirantif-e.jpg

DocNrock

Thanks for that, Doug.  I personally like the ebony the best, which is just as well, as that is the neck that is waiting for this body.