Soloist

I have a carved-top soloist sitting in the closet just rotting. Finished in pearl white - it's absolutely gorgeous. Got a one-piece Ziricote neck for it. It's gonna be the whip when it's done. But, I ordered it in the middle of the night and didn't have a switch slot cut for it and I've been terrified of doing it myself. If I screw up that finish, I'll hate myself forever. One of these days, I'll grow a pair and have at it.

Or learn to drive a stick  :binkybaby:

Free-Way_Pickup_Switch_sm.jpg

If you're handy with electronics....

Capacitive touch switch under the wood. Only you know where the secret knot is.  I actually have kicked around doing this - not for pickup switching but for a control surface (like a wah) . Too far down the project stack for now.

I just ordered a soloist body and Strat neck. I'm basing the build on the Charvel Natural Series. Should be awesome. Pics will be posted when it's done

primi said:
Hey guys, I have noticed there isn't a lot of love for the soloist around here is it? There are only a small number of flat top ones in stock at Warmoth and not even a single carved top version. Surely there is a market for carved top soloist? Or is it so much more expensive that it just kills it? Anybody ever spotted one in the showcase (or at least lately)?

Hot off the press

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=Slcp41&Body=2&Path=Body

Wolff05 said:
primi said:
Hey guys, I have noticed there isn't a lot of love for the soloist around here is it? There are only a small number of flat top ones in stock at Warmoth and not even a single carved top version. Surely there is a market for carved top soloist? Or is it so much more expensive that it just kills it? Anybody ever spotted one in the showcase (or at least lately)?

Hot off the press

http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseItem.aspx?i=Slcp41&Body=2&Path=Body

Ha, I was just about to report it as well! That little bird was right and it happened sooner than I thought.

Is it just me or is the lower horn carved differently? That reflection looks like there is no ridge on the middle of the horn.

Looks that way to me, too. It does say it's a "prototype", so maybe that's a change.

If I were to guess, I'd say they designed a new one to make use of thinner laminates.  I know the one thing that kept me from buying a carved soloist was the lack of choices for tops.  I guess that's good news/bad news.  We get more options but tops will be getting thinner and thinner from here on out

That new prototype and another (and they said the last of it's kind) old style carved top soloist only lasted a couple of days in the showroom. None of them were exactly what I was after so don't blame me  :laughing7:

Not sure if I should be checking the showroom much anyway now that I've ordered something.

Back