Soloist Hardtail Burl Maple Top - Black dye glow/burst satin, dog hair back

docteurseb said:
Ordered #4-40 wood inserts for the pickups this time around.

While I did a direct wood mount on the prior two guitars with single coils I found this to be a pain to adjust and it doesn't look very clean/professional.

The fret felt so smooth on this one I felt compelling to redo the polishing of my Soloist Dragon Breath frets
It seems really critical for SS frets to get those scratches out with the initial 600 grit microfinishing flexible sand paper and crowned file; direct sunlight or using the smartphone's flashlight really helps to catch those. Once that's taken care of the higher grits are pretty easy.

I’m a couple days late for this, but I recommend getting yourself a cheap headlamp for these jobs. A little trick I learned in my boot shining days.

I use an Optivisor when doing frets and other detail jobs with the light attachment.

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-tools-and-supplies/tools-by-job/tools-for-maintenance/optivisor-headband-magnifier.html

I have found some time ago that SS if you skip grits or move on too soon to finer grits you will have frets that you may not see a problem with but can be felt when you bend. Here is a link to when I discovered this phenomena. Shortly after I ended up getting my first spectacles also.

https://www.unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=22445.msg338072#msg338072

ghotiphry said:
Doc, this is actually one of my favorites, like, ever.  Fabulous work.

Thank you! This one has been super fun to plan and execute!
I wasn't too much into burl tops before but I suspect this may not be the last one I do.

@Docteurseb beautiful build! Really impressive.

How exactly did you end up doing the back finish? I'm about to do a Zebrawood guitar and, in my head, I want the grey/black contrast exactly like you did it.

docteurseb said:
stratamania said:
docteurseb said:
stratamania said:
Good job with the inserts. I wondered how you were getting on when I saw some in my parts box yesterday. It looks very good.

They were quite a pita to get them in straight enough when inserting them.

Was that drilling the holes or I am guessing the part afterwards?

Definitely the part afterwards. Drilling the holes was straightforward with the drill press, just need to make sure not to drill too deep ;-)
I'm using the EZ Lock type of inserts, I'll try their insertion adapter next time to see if that helps.

I REALLY dislike their insertion adapter.  Buy a socket head cap screw that fits the inserts, and two nuts so you can lock it into the insert at the proper depth.  Then use a hex key to thread it in.  I have had to use an ez out to remove a couple of brass inserts that their tool stripped.  I felt like the SHCS had much better control, and no chance of screwing up their garbage ears when going into a harder wood like a maple neck. 

alexreinhold said:

How exactly did you end up doing the back finish? I'm about to do a Zebrawood guitar and, in my head, I want the grey/black contrast exactly like you did it.

The back and sides were finished by Pat Wilkins Guitars.

docteurseb said:
alexreinhold said:

Unfortunately not an option as I'm based in Europe :-/

alexreinhold said:
docteurseb said:
alexreinhold said:

Unfortunately not an option as I'm based in Europe :-/

If it's a DIY finish you are looking for search for 'cerused finish' or dog hair finish.
This is a pretty good example:

[youtube]https://youtu.be/qCH0sAczZEA[/youtube]

Back