Soloist Hardtail Burl Maple Top - Black dye glow/burst satin, dog hair back

NedRyerson said:
That is turning out gorgeous. Makes me reevaluate my feelings on burl tops.

Funny thing is I never liked burl tops either until I saw that PRS with the satin finish, unfilled holes, and black dye glow.

I still don't like burl tops with natural finishes, but with dyes I think they look great.
Here's another one that looked quite spectacular:
DSC_8211_24283150-6b25-4fe4-99ef-4891e01f2693_400x.jpg

DSC_8229_e8fd8039-f887-4f7b-9435-e593feb9efb8_800x543.jpg

Body is back. Can't complain about the looks, this came out nice.
It darker than I had envisioned but I'm not surprised as the top looked really dark when wet during the staining process; it'll be perfect for the sinister theme:

6rXq4wP.jpg

1tQm8Eb.jpg

BxqbLXH.jpg

lalDqkH.jpg

2ZnWt3N.jpg

g7HDrah.jpg

hj9otZ2.jpg

YT9HLAc.jpg

9oYi8kp.jpg

gxOZ5Pc.jpg

3clDLau.jpg

qWr53hV.jpg

All black hardware on this.

Neck: need to be careful as it's a light body and is also a hardtail. I could easily get some neck heaviness if I pick Modern construction, heavy tuners, and heavy woods...

Wenge back is tempting nonetheless to go well with the body's back. Checking w/ Warmoth if they do this with vintage modern construction though (lighter). It's not a default menu option, but I see them building ebony necks with the single truss rod so hopeful wenge is possible as well.

... and definitely glow in the dark inlays side dots, I might do them myself.

I've also considered going 3x3 Warmoth headstock and attempt veneering it with maple burl veneers I got, staining to match. The flat headstock should make it decently 'easy' to veneer after the fact (still not ideal).

Speaking of veneering, let's see how things go on this wonderful $20 neck (shipping included) from some unknown overseas 'builder' that didn't even manage to install frets parallel to each other...

aqV2I7F.jpg

nU2bpMg.jpg

sQ7OErQ.jpg

It's actually not being glued yet. It was soaked in water trying to see how flat and how well it'll follow the curvature once dry... This may be a terrible idea but it doesn't cost much to try.

I have seen someone wrap a headstock in plastic wrap, erect a barrier around the edge of it with painter's tape, and use the resulting reservoir as a mold for a perfect-fit clamping caul made of Bondo.  Might be worth a try.

Interesting idea, I could do something similar with epoxy. I have a feeling it's absolutely required for the curved part of the headstock. The earlier experiment didn't fare too well but I wasn't expecting it to on a first try.

Updated: if I attempt a veneer I now think it'll really have to be on a Warmoth/Vortex headstock. It'll be hard enough as is around the edges without the aggravation of dealing with a Warhead/Strat headshape's curvature at the nut...

docteurseb said:
Interesting idea, I could do something similar with epoxy. I have a feeling it's absolutely required for the curved part of the headstock.

I was about to reply with the same thoughts.  If you don't get the caul perfect the (likely) resulting gap of the veneer near the nut will end up driving you batty.  :)

I started assembling some parts as I wanted to check a Warhead neck I just received (for another guitar) had its LSR nut slot properly cut. It doesn't nut on the plus side I'm finding, very unexpectedly, that a roasted maple back works very nicely actually:
vGiJU3f.jpg

EEJCPXa.jpg

I do feel like this time though some kind of fingerboard inlays would help.
I want the build to be sinister but it's getting a little too dark overall.

N2USM6Q.jpg

Undecided about those I had custom made for a prior guitar (scraped):
UVp98rh.jpg

They are very very nice (luminlay green dot by the way) but a little tall.

Looking really nice! I'm not sure if I'd like it better with or without inlays as is... Cool knobs too, where'd you get those?

ragamuffin said:
Looking really nice! I'm not sure if I'd like it better with or without inlays as is... Cool knobs too, where'd you get those?

Got them at thgknobs.com

I think the darkening effect created by the lack of inlay is pronounced by the absence of strings. 
Once it's got strings on it, I don't think it would seem so over-dark.  IMO.
Great build - looking forward to seeing how it comes together!

Zebra said:
I think the darkening effect created by the lack of inlay is pronounced by the absence of strings. 
Once it's got strings on it, I don't think it would seem so over-dark.  IMO.
Great build - looking forward to seeing how it comes together!

That's a fair point indeed.

Neck (re)ordered:
- Warhead
- Roasted maple with figured ziricote fingerboard+veneer. Ebony would look great but I'd like to shave off as much weight as possible and love the look of ziricote.
- 6105 SS frets
- no inlays, no side dots - I will attempt drilling/installing Luminlay Super Green side dots myself
- 59 contour

Back