solid koa tele body (pics here!): what type of neck?

buckallred

Photos of soilid koa tele body here:
IMG00111-20090507-1631.jpg

IMG00112-20090507-1632.jpg

the boards (before):
koa.jpg

NOW: I am considering warmoth unfinished indian rosewood necks, which are beautiful and not too pricey at all.

Koa necks are like $700.

The question is whether an indian rosewood neck would look weird on that body. Obviously the neck would be quite a bit darker in color.

Any advice/input would be appreciated.

I vote goncalo alves/pau ferro.  I have used that combination on basses a couple times now (koa body, goncalo neck, pf fretboard) and it always seems to blend very nicely.

Here's one of them, pardon the image quality, this was taken years ago:

NTBass1.jpg

I don't have one uploaded showing the back of the neck but you can see the color of the goncalo alves on the headstock.  The woods just seemed to blend nicely.  Here's a back of one of the showcase necks, in goncalo.  Mine was a little darker:

sn6148b.jpg

Well, DUH...  KOA!

Lots of nice ones in the showcase, but most are already clear gloss finished, several match up well with the coloration on your body:

http://www.warmoth.com/Pages/ClassicShowcase.aspx?Body=1&Shape=1&Path=Neck,Strat&nWood=8

The koa ones aren't as expensive as I thought. . . $482 is the cheapest tele neck on there.

Not that that is exactly chump change, mind you. . . indian rosewoods are at least $100 cheaper.

does Koa have to have a finish on it? I have just always wanted a no-finish neck on a guitar.

JohninSC said:
Why did you have to ruin that beautiful wood by shaping it into a tele?

^Ignore him.

Teles rocks.

Once the edges are rounded over and that sliver on the pocked sanded off (and the contour rounded over some more), a canary neck could look good.

Large stainless frets, indian rosewood fret board, 1 3/4 width, koa or mahogany neck (depending on how much you can spend), standard tele headstock, warmoth pro.

For me it would need to be on the darker side of the colour spectrum - pau ferro or rosewood, depending on the sound I was after.

And re: a solid koa tele... WHOA!  :headbang1:

Thank you all. We will see what type of neck i end up with. Probably indian rosewood, as koa necks are just so expensive.

Either way, it will be a winner. And, thank Leo Fender, if I buy an IRW neck, on down the line I can always swap it out for a koa one!

I think canary or goncalo would be a good match for that koa piece. There's a couple of real nice goncalo's in the showcase for under $300...
vmt1707A.jpg

vmt1706A.jpg

I dunno about with that body.. but http://www.warmoth.com/Showcase/ShowcaseNeck.aspx?Body=1&Path=Neck&i=tn2416

TN2416A.jpg

someone buy that.. I can't afford it... and I wants it..  :evil4:

Back