So close...

Mark said:
I would ask him if I could drop by locally to try out the guitar before I buy it.

I would also introduce him to Cuddles, my German Shephard Police Dog, if I came to the conclusion that the guitar was 1) mine, and 2) that he stole it.

I actually did just send off a request to see it. I'm not a violent person, but maybe I can round up a few of my bigger friends.  :icon_jokercolor:

Or, I'll ask him about its history. If he says he bought it at a garage sale or something to that effect, I'll try to reason with him, since he sounds like a musician based on the description he wrote. Offer to buy it off him for what he paid for it.

Fr. Ted Crilley said:
Was it all stolen at the same time?
was it at a gig or did they break in at your home?
(I have been worried lately about having my guitars all in one of my front facing bedrooms)
I think I would introduce him to my fist... hehe

Indeed it was. That guitar, a lefty Epiphone bass, a Fender fretless Jazz bass, a Telecaster, an LTD bass, and my Line 6 Flextone III amp. It was in our garage, and they forced the door open.

Fr. Ted Crilley said:
I think I would introduce him to my fist... hehe

Punch him in the cholecyst so DocNRock can make some money off it  :laughing7:

Wow, good luck. I can't believe you found it! If it were me, I would be happy to pay just to get it back. But the police / free route is probably wisest to start with..  :laughing8:

You already called the police - do not get involved if they are going to. Say you and your buds go down there and 'convince' the guy to hand it over, then the next day the police come by his house. You're not going to come out looking too hot on that one. Either trust the police to handle it properly, or don't, and don't let them have anything to do with it, trying to do both at the same time is asking for trouble.

Well, now that I've talked to the police, I'll see how it plays out. The detective seemed somewhat optimistic about getting it back. She said that because of the missing serial number, the rarity of the guitar, and any modifications/unique traits I could identify would play a big part (in my case, the strap locks that I know the make of). She referred it to her sergeant, and said I should hear from them tomorrow.

I was more considering handling it myself if the police didn't care, and since it took them two full days to call me back, that's what it was starting to look like. I only have until the end of the week before the auction ends and it gets sent to who knows where next Monday. :-\

Believe me, if I can avoid shady people, I would gladly do so.

The detective actually thought it was a good idea that I asked to meet up, and if/when I hear back from him, I'm going to pass the info along to her.

I am afriad you didnt keep real good records. THis should be a open and shut case for the FBI/ State atty. General, and it wouldve been shut down by now by EBay if you had any real leg to stand on. Sorry, but we should all learn to doocument our belongings , and this just drives home the point.

I'm not sure I know what you mean, Jerry. I have the receipt, serial number, and police report.

I'm not sure what else I could have besides pictures of the guitar, but I've just never been much for photography.  :dontknow: Besides; the guitar was in nearly perfect condition when it was stolen, so there weren't any defining pictures I could have taken anyway.

I haven't contacted eBay about the guitar yet, because I don't want them to shut down the auction and him to throw the guitar in the river. I don't think the police have actually started working on this case.  :dontknow:

And thanks Alfang! I have an e-bay account, so I think if the police don't do anything I'll end up bidding something crazy like $2,000 (or a ridiculous amount so that no one else would out-bid me), and then tell him I need his mailing address to send him a money order.

Also, I think what I will start doing is hiding labels underneath the pickups, saying something like "Property of David V..."

A fence couldn't argue with that.  :icon_biggrin:

Wow, that's excellent.  You have a good chance of getting it back.  Definitely call the cops, and possibly contact eBay/PayPal too.  If that doesn't work, buy it back and jump the guy in an alley.  :evil4:

I get anxious when I see this stuff.

I read this post then spent 15 minutes on ebay looking for my stolen guitar.

It's so damn awful.

Volitions Advocate said:
I get anxious when I see this stuff.

I read this post then spent 15 minutes on ebay looking for my stolen guitar.

It's so damn awful.

I hear ya. I was bad about checking before. Now it's 10-20 times a day. What am I even expecting?  :icon_tongue:

You couldn't arrange the meeting with the seller, so that the Detective could come along?

He ignored my request. I had a friend send in a question about another one of his items, and he responded to that right away. My quick e-mail of 'hey, I'm local; is it cool if I check out the guitar before I bid?' - I sent it 48 hours ago an no response.

I have so much faith in the system. The police won't even try to help me because they said the warrant process would take too long. If I can get his information, they might be interested.

They weren't even going to call me back to tell me - I had to call them.  :doh:

Sounds like he knows it's stolen goods - he might be the perp and just be an idiot for selling directly on ebay. Of course, if the police won't investigate property crimes anymore, he's got nothing to lose, especially if he can keep his identity hidden using Ebay.

Yeah...

But I e-mailed one of his previous customers and asked them for any info. Since they were buying a vintage P-bass pickup, I figured they would be a serious musician and I knew they'd understand what it would be like to lose an instrument.

He sent me the invoice, which gave me the guy's full name.

Then I found him on Facebook and in the phone book.

So I have his name, home address, phone number, and picture. I'll give the cops another shot.  :dontknow:

Well, the police called him up and talked to him. Apparently he's willing to hand it over, and if I can identify it as mine, then it's mine again.

So I guess it all rests on the strap locks...for better or worse.

Turns out he bought it at the local flea market...FOR A HUNDRED DOLLARS.

Ugh. I hate lowlives. So much.

If I get it back, I'll probably throw a hundred bucks his way, just so he doesn't feel cheated for doing the right thing.

That's great news. :icon_thumright:

I wonder if what the guy is saying is true, or did he come up with it. I guess it doesn't matter.

Nope, not really.

But he's willing to turn over the guitar...it could be because it's the right thing, because he doesn't want to ruin his ebay business...or because he has the rest of my stuff, and he doesn't want the cops nosing around.  :dontknow:

Doesn't matter, I guess.

Back