Sitting/Playing Style/ No Lessons

Magicbisket

Curious, I'm a newer player. Only a couple years with not professional lessons but one from a Mr. Daren Scott (whom I owe a great deal to) Is it normal, even though having started out on acoustic steel string and electric guitar to sit in what is considered a classical style? Also I notice that what I play doesnt sound bad, it isn't overly simple (with the amount of slides, vibrato, and hammeron/pull off it would be a nightmare to tab) but it just deosnt sound like what I listen to or what is considered normal playing.

Good thing bad thing or just different?

Any similar experiences or odd playing styles/ sitting styles?

As weird as it got, it never quite got weird enough for me.
I play a weirdo instrument in a strange style with unique timing.
Play what sounds good to you, and others will probably like it too.
But also remember that just because you are unique does not mean you are good, or useful.
Most of the musicians I know play because we are artists from many styles just trying to enjoy our craft.
Enjoy it.

The playing style or position has a lot to do with the way style in which you play.  IF you are the type of player which only uses the first and third finger to play simple barre chords or two notes per string the demands are less than wide interval chords requiring wide stretches.  Three and four note per string runs are easier if the neck is higher and in the more classical position allowing the elbow to be more under the neck.  Even Petrucci puts his foot on the monitor during solos to raise the guitar to facilitate a greater stretch of his hand.

My basic rule, written in stone, to be tattooed to your forehead (backwards so U can read in mirror), is: YOU WILL GET GOOD AT WHAT YOU PRACTICE! Repeat:

YOU WILL GET GOOD AT WHAT YOU PRACTICE!

And you may infer the corollary,  YOU WON'T GET GOOD AT WHAT YOU DON'T PRACTICE.

So if you want to be an unusual guitarist forever, DON'T spend any time learning how to play normal. And if you want to make money at playing music, spend just enough time learning normal to be able to play like other guitarists. An awful lot of the Great Renaissance of the 60's and 70's was a result of guitars getting sort-of good at playing blues, but not good enough to be blues guitarists - so they threw in whatever else turned up when they flapped their fingers around, and BLOOEY! - invented rock music. But by now, it's incredibly difficult to find some things that haven't been played somewhere, by somebody. I would guess that the preeminent "greatest guitarist" of modern time would be Guthrie Govan, and he seems to be largely a chameleon, with the ability to play like a huge number of other people. Same with John Petrucci and Paul Gilbert. I like their music, but to a large extent I can hear who they learned from. And even trying to be as weird as possible in order to be "creative" - there are others even weirder, no matter what you do. It's a tough, chewey cookie for sure..

StubHead said:
My basic rule, written in stone, to be tattooed to your forehead (backwards so U can read in mirror), is: YOU WILL GET GOOD AT WHAT YOU PRACTICE!

The corollary to that is: POOR PRACTICE MAKES FOR  A POOR PLAYER!

So, play well when you practice so you get good at playing well. Never play faster than you can play accurately, and always use a metronome. If you play too fast and make mistakes, making mistakes will become second nature and it's difficult to unlearn them.

StubHead said:
the preeminent "greatest guitarist" of modern time would be Guthrie Govan,

+1000. 

After listening to Guthrie for many years, I am still amazed by and hear new things from his music that I have previously missed.

Back