Silver Jazzmaster

exalted

It's been quite a journey, but I'm finally done!

Alder body
Custom paint
DiMarzio Satriani PAF in the neck, wired in parallel
DiMarzio SuperDistortion 2 in the bridge, wired in parallel
Vintage-type strat hardtail
Total vintage neck, rosewood on maple
:hello2: :hello2:

I'm not a fan of the sparkle and natural wood combo, but it's still pretty awesome looking.

Just made me think; oooooooh, shiny :icon_biggrin:

Wana's_makin'_a_guitar said:
I'm not a fan of the sparkle and natural wood combo, but it's still pretty awesome looking.

Just made me think; oooooooh, shiny :icon_biggrin:

I didn't get to choose the body/neck combo. It's all second-hand Warmoth.  :dontknow:

Isn't the action fairly high with the vintage radius?  Or were you able to get it lower?

I'm still learning how to set guitars up, but it is definitely a pain to adjust because the truss rod access is in the bottom of the neck, so you have to take the whole thing off. I got it 'good enough' and called it a day.

Though, I think the neck says it has a Warmoth radius...so, I'm really not sure. I've never seen a 'normal' Warmoth neck, so I can't compare it to anything...though my solid rosewood vintage modern neck just shipped, so I'm probably going to put that bad boy on this body until I get my other Jazzmaster in order.

SDbass said:
Isn't the action fairly high with the vintage radius?  Or were you able to get it lower?

Typically action is high on vintage radius so you can bend strings without them fretting out, action could certainly be lower if he so chose. Good tone is a nice side effect too!

I like the guitar BTW, has a 'naked' appeal.

How did you get the switches routed like that? I have only usually seen those slide switches mounted on switch plates or pickguards.. :icon_scratch:

OzziePete said:
How did you get the switches routed like that? I have only usually seen those slide switches mounted on switch plates or pickguards.. :icon_scratch:

I don't know, and it's not for the best.

I can't find any switches that actually fit the cavity properly (the current ones are too short - only screwed in on one side), and it made wiring a nightmare. Plus, my hand rubs on them sometimes.

I'm going to try sanding them down a little to make them a little less obtrusive. Overall, I like this guitar (especially since I paid under $500 for it total), but due to the original owner's choices, it's definitely going to be a secondary guitar to my other Jazzmaster that I'm still waiting on.

Great pup combo, the PAF Joe and the Super D.  But what is a Super Distortion 2?  Never heard of it, and it is not on DiMarzio's website.

exalted said:
OzziePete said:

I don't know, and it's not for the best.

I can't find any switches that actually fit the cavity properly (the current ones are too short - only screwed in on one side), and it made wiring a nightmare. Plus, my hand rubs on them sometimes.

I'm going to try sanding them down a little to make them a little less obtrusive. Overall, I like this guitar (especially since I paid under $500 for it total), but due to the original owner's choices, it's definitely going to be a secondary guitar to my other Jazzmaster that I'm still waiting on.

With the two switch cavities side on, it may take the Mustang switches instead of the Jazzmaster/Jaguar switches. The Mustang switches are on-off-on and slightly longer than the on-on Jazzmaster/Jaguar switches.

If you want the switches to be less obtrusive, is it possible to pack the screws with washers underneath (small ones of course) and recess the switch a bit?

OzziePete said:
With the two switch cavities side on, it may take the Mustang switches instead of the Jazzmaster/Jaguar switches. The Mustang switches are on-off-on and slightly longer than the on-on Jazzmaster/Jaguar switches.

If you want the switches to be less obtrusive, is it possible to pack the screws with washers underneath (small ones of course) and recess the switch a bit?

Hmmm....that's a good idea. And I could use the extra function. Right now I'm just using what I found at the local electronics store: DPDT on-on switches.

--
As for the Super Distortion, I may be mistaken. I just thought it was different than the original, but maybe not. I'm sort of new to full on humbuckers (first guitar was single coil, last guitar before this one had 3x minibuckers). I always thought I'd like humbuckers, but man they sure don't like to sing. Maybe I'm a single coil kinda guy but never knew it. To be fair to the poor pups, they do have their own unique niceties.

I refer to this as the Mcdonalds Jazzmaster, cause I'm lovin' it!!!!

Seriously I love that fat metalflake......  I wanna paint my Harley that way!!!!!

Back