Should I put a Bigsby on my Tele?

Swapped for aluminum pickguard and Gibson Burstbucker Pro neck. Next I probably will put in the Jerry Donahue bridge pickup I have and a Warmoth boatneck.Tele UP.JPG

Ok updated with real Bigsby and some sweet new careless scratches! I will say it is a bit lighter, but really the function was just as good with the "Chigsby" I may go back to brass saddles too.Actual Bigsby.JPG

Forgot to mention for anyone contemplating a different spring for their Bigsby. This Bigsby unit came with a 7/8" spring that I expected to like better than the 1" but I didn't and stuck the 1" spring fro the "Chigsby" into the new trem. It is easier to grab for me etc. feels better IMO

So you prefer the handle to sit higher above the strings?

I think I realized another benefit of the Bigsby. I do big bends (like 2.5+ steps) a lot, and have not broken a string since I installed the B5. I think it's because the bridge is able to give a little when the tension gets so high that a string could break.

Also re: saddles... I opted for stainless steel because they supposedly give better sustain. Are yours SS too? You prefer brass though? I'm wondering if I'd like brass better...

So you prefer the handle to sit higher above the strings?

I think I realized another benefit of the Bigsby. I do big bends (like 2.5+ steps) a lot, and have not broken a string since I installed the B5. I think it's because the bridge is able to give a little when the tension gets so high that a string could break.

Also re: saddles... I opted for stainless steel because they supposedly give better sustain. Are yours SS too? You prefer brass though? I'm wondering if I'd like brass better...
I thought wanted it to sit lower, but in practice I like it a tad higher after all. Also, the steel saddles (not stainless) seemed a little harsher to my ear. I just now swapped back to brass which seems mellower/balanced to my tin ear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Clearly I'm late to this party but the original question was a good one, to which I'd say...

If it's one of the Bigsbys with a B bender or, even better, B and G benders and you want to play that style then, since it's a Telecaster then by all means.

Otherwise I'd say get a proper Bigsby guitar. Godin 5th Ave T-Armond. PRS S2 Starla. Yamaha RS702B. New Juliet from Eastman or last year's Romeo LA Thinline Semi. I guess we all know the traditional ones.

I thought I posted my Bigsby install but I guess not. Maybe it was in Spud's thread? Anyway, without further ado...

Musings: Vibrate/B5 worked well and easy to install. Not for bending up or down a full step like on a strat, but great shimmer vibrato that comes in handy more than I had expected.

Callaham upgrades are great (especially the string shaft - not sure the front roller does all that much tbh). The barrel saddles seem fine - no issues with intonation. Tuning stability is better than I had expected. I frequently bend up 3+ full steps and tuning is more or less as before. Maybe anecdotal, but I've also not broken a string since installing the Bigsby. It makes sense because when you bend big, the vibrato can actually give a little to relieve tension.

Bottom line: very glad I installed this thing and couldn't imagine going back to a vibrato-less Tele.

Many thanks to everyone for the kind guidance!

Attachments

• bigsby on 2.jpg
    bigsby on 2.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 11
Back