SHE'S COMING!!!

Orpheo

My baby,my gorgeous, my pretty, my precious..

She's coming! I ordered on the 1st of november, and I thought it would come somewhere in March, but its just the end of january! thats within the 16 week period they specified. I'm extremely excited.

Pics will come somewhere next week  :headbang:

oh, I forgot to mention the specs...

Les paul body, 3 pickup version, cream binding on top
walnut back, koa top, clearcoat finish.

ziricote neckback (fatback)
macassar ebony fingerboard, 6100 sized frets, cream binding
non-angled paddleheadstock. I will cut out myself a headstock. I'm thinking of the mcnaught style, but if there is a lot of nice figuring on the head, i will make it as large as possible; the gibson les paul/l5 headstock from the 70ies  :hello2:

the pickups are gonna be very simple; just a paf in the neck and a hotter paf at the bridge. the bridge itself will be tune o matic/stoptail, gotoh non-locking tuners and cts pots etc etc. Just the works, you know what a les paul has to have, right?

the 3 pickups are gonna be wired with my own schematic. I dont think anyone has wired this way. I will post the wiring one of these days :) Sufficive to say: every wiringoption that i want, can be done.

m4rk0 said:
that sounds great!
this will be your nicest LP to date!

haha, you think? I still have to wait and see how all the woods look like!my favorite until now is my purpleburst or my 3 pup black beauty.

zircote neck, walnut and koa bod, wow that should be a looker. those might be the 3 most beautiful woods warmoth has to offer. i can't wait for pics

she just left louisville, kentucky. well... almost 7 hours ago, but still. Perhaps she will come tomorrow, but I'm thinking she will come on tuesday though. Well, she's worth the wait.

she's not on her way anymore, she has arrived!

I have already build it so far, as far as possible, and here she is:

DSC09858.jpg

DSC09866.jpg

DSC09867.jpg

DSC09868.jpg

DSC09869.jpg

DSC09861.jpg

DSC09873.jpg

DSC09871.jpg

DSC09874.jpg

DSC09875.jpg

Homecut headstock! sorry, i'm not good at woodworks, but warmoth didnt wanna do the shapes I wanted, so I had to do it myself...
DSC09876.jpg

DSC09877.jpg

DSC09878.jpg

DSC09880.jpg

back: walnut
top: KOA!!!!!! this is in real life a terrific flametop. the pics just dont do it justice :)

neck: ziricote! fudge this is slick!
fingerboard: gorgeous, pretty macassar ebony

oh gosh, this guitar ROCKS!

Wowie.  How are you going to mount that single coil in the H rout?

I like the headstock a lot, and those inlays are pretty metal.  :headbang1:

Looks like you've got 2 pots and 2 toggles, plus an empty pot hole and an empty 5-way slot!  What's going on with those controls??

dbw said:
Wowie.  How are you going to mount that single coil in the H rout?

I like the headstock a lot, and those inlays are pretty metal.   :headbang1:

Looks like you've got 2 pots and 2 toggles, plus an empty pot hole and an empty 5-way slot!  What's going on with those controls??

the tele single will be directly bolt on, until I have enough money to buy a normal humbucker for the middleposition, haha.

the empty potspace will be used for a 'stutter' killswitch ( I think), or just a fake pot. The blade-slot is now filled with a telecaster 4way blade. Now I can have bridge/bridge+neck/neck alone or in combination with the middlepickup, series or parallel, or just the middle alone. Master volume, master tone, phase switch. When I have other pickups, it will be almost the same. the 4 way will be the same, as well as the master volume and tone. all that I will have then is coiltap for each pickup.

why does my macassar ebony board only have one tiny streak over the first 3 frets, while yours is streaky all over the place!!  :sad1:

m4rk0 said:
why does my macassar ebony board only have one tiny streak over the first 3 frets, while yours is streaky all over the place!!  :sad1:

dunno :D all I know is that i'm one hell of a lucky bastard! twice! my first one had a braz.fingerboard and rio neck instead of indian/indian.

NonsenseTele said:
Really nice one man!!!!!!  :glasses9:
But why not use the 13° degree headstock???  :icon_scratch:

because ziricote doesnt glue up very well, especially not on a joint that has to endure a LOT of forces. thats why they dont do ebony NECKbacks 13 degree angle. or pau ferro and bloodwood for that matter. but its not really an issue. Im gonna make meself a stringbar with some leftover ziricote. and with another bit of leftover, i'm gonna make a little les paul for my girlfriend.

for the cutting I just this:

605700500.jpg

I have NO idea what its called in english ;)

for the final shaping, I just a rasp and a handheld routing-device (dremel). I dont have a real router with copying-bit, so I had to make due. this project tought me valuable lessons: what drill to use for drilling tunerholes, how to cut the headstock, etc etc. but it worked out ok :) I only have to make the action lower (screw that earvana nut!!) and i have to wire it up, and fit the stringtree, and then I'm done!

forgive my ignorance, but dont you need a neck plate? Arnt they used as standard for structural purposes?

Brian

no, I am going to use rings instead of a neckplate. The screws just without any metal in between was just a testfit. the screws havent been screwed so deep that they touch the  lacquer yet ;)

Absolutely awesome! I love to see people build dream guitars. Way to go!

Patiently waiting that magical email that says my neck is on it's way. Hoping for any day now...

Back