Shake it, baby!

I've heard that something like this is done at the Custom Shops of F&G.

The same person who told me said you could lay a guitar on a subwoofer a few overnights and get fairly good results.

I've been meaning to try it since I have a s/w in my office and can leave it all weekend  :guitarplayer2:

Wether this would work or not (and some of the "scientific" explanations given are a little shaky), I think the "polishing of a turd" rule would still apply.  If you start with an utterly crappy guitar, you can shake it all you want, it will not ever sound like a '58 Strat.

This is just utter nonsense.  Even claims old acoustic guitars and mandolins "go to sleep" if they are not played have not been verified.

on the other hand, I've got some hand knurled tele knobs for sale - only $60 each.  Now these will improve the tone of any guitar - even ones without knobs  :icon_biggrin:

I can believe it makes a difference... whether or not it's a desirable or audible difference, I have no idea.  (I think that's my answer to every guitar controversy... nitro finishes, aluminum bridges, set necks, etc etc)

NonsenseTele said:
Interesting... How much for do it? :laughing7:

The first rule when selling snake oil is, make it expensive enough so that people are too embarassed to admit they got scammed.

:evil4:

This sounds like a plausible way to improve the tone of a new guitar that needs to be broken in a bit. The speaker breaks in the pickups which can sound harsh initially before settling, and shaking may do weird things that would require a proper setup afterwards, but that would help the tension of the neck and the strings to settle a little more, like stretching muscles.

Actually to tell you the truth, I don't know any of this for sure. It just seems like it would work this way.

Vibrating the guitar might affect unpotted pickups but most pickups are wax potted.

Well..  At this point in the conversation I'd like to draw your attention to my '44 Epiphone FT-45.  Its been heavily played for its entire life.

l_2c5a87600dd72f19401289ea047e5655.jpg

The forearm sweat stain over the top from decades of use and the scratches from thousands and thousands of strums leave scars accross the face.  This guitar has been played.  I challenge anyone to find a guitar that is this old, that is this heavily played, and that is still playable.  Imagine the stories this old troubadour could tell.

Look at the groove from decades of a thumb in the first position.
l_59ec06c302df558b3e25a6e4c21ae6b6.jpg

The FT-45 was not the high end line of Epiphones back in the '40s.  However, I get approached all the time with offers for this thing.  When I take it with me to a jam session, or to sit around with friends and pick, I get compliments on its sound.  It has a unique voice that far suprasses my playing abilities, but I wont part with it.

Perhaps the science of the articles I link might be a little on the "hocus pocus" side.  But I'd wager that a guitar indeed does improve with actual play.  Though I might like to try the "subwoofer" trick mentioned above on a newer guitar sometime in the future.

Back