Set neck

SnakeGS

Do you think you could set the neck with a warmoth LP body and neck, if Warmoth didnt cut the pocket in the body for the bolt on neck to go in, and if you shaved the under side of the neck to how gibson cuts it, and also cutting your own groove on the body to set the neck?

Or would it throw everything off or do you need the Tenon to be longer.

Unless it's for the comfort of the neck joint, you could always glue the neck in in it's current format.  On one of the bass forums, there's a fellow with a 7-string Conklin bass with a bolt-on neck.  He glued the neck to the body.  It's strong enough to take the screws out.  He swears there's a tonal difference, but that's just him. 

Super Turbo Deluxe Custom said:
Unless it's for the comfort of the neck joint, you could always glue the neck in in it's current format.  On one of the bass forums, there's a fellow with a 7-string Conklin bass with a bolt-on neck.  He glued the neck to the body.  It's strong enough to take the screws out.  He swears there's a tonal difference, but that's just him. 
Obviously, it's the glue that makes the tone.  :laughing7:

Wana's made a guitar said:
Obviously, it's the glue that makes the tone.  :laughing7:

I would certainly advise against it, and for the life of me can't figure out for the life of me why anyone would glue in a bolt-on neck.  It's the worst of both worlds.  He now has a set neck with a neck plate and screws, and a blot-on neck that can't be removed.  I know the "tone glue" is a tongue in cheek remark, but the strength of the joint is the tone, and the glue does strengthen the joint.  So yes, " ...it's the glue that makes the tone."

Even high end acoustic guitar makers are moving towards bolt on necks - if the tone of a bolt neck is good enough for Taylor and Breedlove, it's probably good enough for your electric and certainly better than putting glue in a place designed for bolts. Would you rather have your house held together by glue or by bolts? How about your car?

Yep, a typical bolt on style heel does not have sufficient surface contact area to be held on by glue only.

Gregg said:
Yep, a typical bolt on style heel does not have sufficient surface contact area to be held on by glue only.

Well.... the surface area is adequate.  The problem is -where- the stress is applied.  A set neck has the SIDES and sometimes the bottom fitted tightly.  If you glue the bottom onto the body's neck route, you'll probably just split the body and/or neck.

Back