Semi Hollow Kits

Jcurl02

Hey its' been a little while since I've posted.  I've been staying away because I keep buying more the more I look.  But I have a question.

I've been on a Gretsch White Falcon kick lately so.....

Do any of you know of good semi hollow kits out there?  I'd like to build something similar to this Gretsch Tele.  I've messed with the Warmoth versions on the builder and come close.  Looked at using the carved top tele with a single f hole cut.  That comes close but.....  Ive looked at the VIP with two f holes cut, that isn't bac either but I don't want the contoured back and want double binding...

Assumeing I went with Warmoth Carved Top Tele Option, does anyone have any experience with a Bigsby?  I don't want a top mount style, I wnat the wrap around style. 

The forum I saw this one at said it sold for over $8,000

Attachments

• gretele2.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 429
  • GretschTele.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 431
  • TeleGretsch.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 466
I'm just speculating here, but it looks like the vibrato tailpiece on that Gretsch isn't a a Bigsby. It's too short. It resembles the Bigsby B3, except in length. It's possible Bigsby makes it for Gretsch, but they don't admit to it on their site or sell anything quite like it.

The Tele only has about 5 1/2" between the bottom of the body and the bridge saddle intonation point. So, a separate vibrato like the Bigsby would only have about 3, maybe 3 1/2" inches to be mounted. The B3 and B7 are designed to do what you want, but on guitars with a lot more ass to them. The B5 would fit the length available...

IMG_2396_Sm.JPG

Clearly a tight fit

...but it's designed for a flat top and won't mount on a carved top body. So, I guess if it was me, I'd be researching where Gretsch gets that tailpiece.

As I recall those "Bigsbys" are custom made for Paul Wallers Gretchy Telecasters.

Fender Japan did an production run approximation albeit without the Bigsby - but here it is for inspiration: TN72G-FT/MH

http://www.fender.com/guitars/telecaster/telecaster-thinline-super-deluxe/

I hate it, but the one in the OP is cool.

Cagey, that's one nice looking loaded body you have there.  Sustainerplayer and Altar, I agree with you.  I'm not a big fan of the white Fender in the links but with some tweeking and imagination (like the LP/Gretsch style pickgard, rear route upper horn toggle) that might start looking good.  Funny thing was that I was thinking of white as a tribute to the White Falcon.....  Too bad Warmoth doesn't offer gold bindings!!!

Here are a couple Teles with Bigsby-style tailpieces...

1335456271NAMMLmtdBigsbyBlackmain.jpg
13354582922012NAMMLmtdBigsbyBluIcemain.jpg

These are Fender Custom Shop pieces offered up for sale by Wild West Guitars for $4,800/ea. These tailpieces very closely resemble the Bigsby B5, but they're obviously also custom parts. The cast-in logo is different, and the mounting is slightly different. Also, these are flat tops.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Bigsby-B5-Fender-Vibrato-Kit---Original-Fender-Logo-For-Telecaster-Guitars-103394243-i1323360.gc
Just this, reliced.

This could work:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Bigsby-B50-Tremolo-107781890-i2470816.gc

If you are alright with a flat top.

Both of those are for a flat top. The second one, the B50, is just a low-end version of the B5. DIe cast instead of sand cast, and with nylon bushings instead of needle bearings on the moving parts. That's why it's roughly half the price.

Back