Selling my soloist!

stankybudz

I am selling my unfinished soloist project, as mentioned in this thread http://unofficialwarmoth.com/index.php?topic=21777.0
Currently has a squier neck on it, and needs pickup mounting rings, everything from the floyd rose to the pickups, and coffin case will be included. I am looking to get 700 out of her, she hasnt even been played:(

:dontknow:
The link has NO pic's, so you might need to post some newer pic's so others can at least see what your selling.

I use to have a photographic memory  :sad1:

nancy-pelosi.jpg

You have to buy it before you can see it!

My bad haha here is a few

Attachments

• 20131210_130952.jpg
    20131210_130952.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 499
  • 20131210_131002.jpg
    20131210_131002.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 412
  • 20131210_131017.jpg
    20131210_131017.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 369
The painful truth is that a project guitar  - even one consisting of high quality parts such as Warmoth makes - is unlikely to draw high bids.  You would likely realize better returns by parting it out, since this forum is primarily populated by hobbyists who want to build their own, rather than folks looking to buy completed or mostly-completed builds.

Yea but you guys of all people know the true value of these beauties. And would know that 650 dollars is barely more than the price of the body alone

Bagman67 said:
The painful truth is that a project guitar  - even one consisting of high quality parts such as Warmoth makes - is unlikely to draw high bids.  You would likely realize better returns by parting it out, since this forum is primarily populated by hobbyists who want to build their own, rather than folks looking to buy completed or mostly-completed builds.

+1, on top of the fact that that body is a little strange, a tele neck pickup route?

Like Bagman said, the people who populate this forum will definitely know the quality of the parts, but we like to shell out money for stuff we pick the options for ourselves.

I would part it out.

And yea a tele neck pickup route.  Why? Why not? All you guitar gurus say tele neck pups are some of the sweetest tones you can get.
575 bux and this baby is yours. Thats over half off, I know someone wants it!

These guys are being too nice about it. You have a very taste-specific body and every single custom option on it is a potential deal-breaker to someone else. The finish and routing alone will eliminate 99% of interest right away. Folks generally shop here to build their own oddball dream guitars, not finish someone else's. If it were a typical Strat neck or something there'd be much more appeal. Unless you can find another You to sell it to, your price range isn't likely to happen.

In the interest of trying to be helpful, and hopefully avoid wasted time and frustration:

Separate all of the parts as suggested before. Then borrow a good camera and take lots of clear pictures, including the items nicely in their boxes if you still have them. After that, write up thorough descriptions so people know all the specifics and features. Is that a swamp ash top on a mahogany body? Is the back black or bursted? Is there a contoured heel? I can't even get a good look at the finish or masking.

Anyway list the body on eBay as "used," but if it's still flawless you can put "immaculate" in the title. List at any price you want (Buy-It-Now, Immediate Payment required, with "'till it's sold" time period option). Specify US-only shipping at a fair cost, and lower the price $25 each week until it's gone.

Selling the body with the bridge is an option (though I wouldn't, I'd probably pull the posts--carefully). But the pickups for sure list separately. Those are easier to price looking at completed/sold Buy-It-Now listings.

I've sold Warmoth stuff before and I eBay "Warmoth" at least once a week, see about everything there. If that specific body were absolutely untouched in the box, meaning no neck plate has ever been on it or anything--not the case here--I would guess you'd still be waiting a while to find the right buyer at a $225 or something. Flattering pictures can help a lot though, and maybe the Tele route could be rerouted to fit a Strat size? I don't know the measurements for that but if that's possible, it's worth pointing out to potential buyers. 

I'm fairly sure everybody who responded so far has sold unwanted Warmoth stuff here at some point. We all feel your pain and know what Warmoth stuff costs new, but that has nothing to do with the value to other people. Especially once we had things routed, finished, drilled for knobs and so on.

By the way, the above post is an ad for Dragon dictation software. The neighbors probably think I'm talking to myself though.

Anyway, good luck with the guitar.

Ok but you guys are acting like I had that finish put on there myself, it was purchased from the warmoth showcase.

The issue is not who finished it - it's that there isn't a large market for what you're selling, so to minimize the loss on your investment, you're better off parting out than trying to sell a partially complete whole project.

Part of the problem is you have to pay retail for everything. Warmoth's bodies and necks, as well as all the parts you put on there are already priced as high as they can possibly go. There's simply no place for the price to go but down. Plus, as has been pointed out, it's configured in such a way that it appeals to you. It won't have that appeal to others. For instance, for as much as I like the Soloist design, I'm not a fan of Floyd Rose bridges, so I wouldn't give you jack for the thing as there's no recovering from it. The next guy may hate tobacco bursts, and knowing it's finished in poly means major work for a refinish. Another won't like single coils (or humbuckers). On and on.

Doesn't matter what you paid, or how nice you think it is, or why it's configured the way it is. What matters is if it appeals to someone else and the price balances the perceived value.

Parting it out is the best way out from under it. Somebody will like that body. Floyds are still popular. Pickups will eventually sell. Not sure what a Squire neck is worth, since an entire Squire isn't worth much, but I'm sure it has a value. Do the eBay thing. It's about as fast and fair as you can get. Plus, you'll have a huge audience. Here, there's maybe what, 50 people who come here regularly and a couple hundred who show up once in a while? Ebay faces the whole country and gets millions of hits a day.

Ok I realize that, but there is a market for neon finished guitars obviously.  surely someone that is looking for that type of thing will be like, "oh my for 50 more bucks I can basically get 600 bux worth of freebies? Well I was gonna buy one anyway..." thats all im trying to say lol

Well, it's entirely possible you're right. Now you just have to wait for that one person to come along. I know I've certainly bought things over the years on a whim because I felt like I had to have them and didn't care what they cost. But, if you want to shift it fast, you're going to have to either increase your market exposure or continue lowering the price until it finally hits that magical price/value balance point for someone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/261353004015?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Bidding starts at 500 fellas, not wanting to part it out, so cheap it goes :party07:

There is a Seymour Duncan super distortion bridge pickup, Dimarzio area t neck pickup, and I believe a Seymour Duncan intruder in the middle

You need to go and check what your pickups are. There's no such thing as a Seymour Duncan Super Distortion. Looking at the bridge pickup, both coils are cream, so I'm guessing it's a DiMarzio Super Distortion. As for the middle pickup, you say it's a Seymour Duncan "Intruder" - never heard of it. There's an Invader, but that's a very distinctive-looking humbucker, not a standard-looking single coil like you have in the middle there.

Back