Secret pickup

Heft

I'd like to have a pickup hidden under the pickguard I can activate for a secret "boost" effect. I'm thinking I would use a SSL-1 Strat bridge pickup for this in the middle position of a Telecaster. I would use a pickguard with just a strat neck pickup hole.
1. Is this viable?
2. Am I right that on the attached picture the following is correct,
"A" could be normal/from switch.
"B" could be output.
"C" could be normal + "boost"
Also could the other end of the "boost" pickup would be soldered to the sweeper lug of volume?

2011-02-16-Push-Pull-Pots-005-annotated-200x300[1].jpg

~Heft

A pedal or an onboard boost would be better. If you add a pickup to another "normal" output which is just another pickup, it is only similar to two pickups on together, which can be done with a normal selector switch and might have less volume.

Here is one onboard boost, but there are others. (also works with passive p/ups)

Thanks,
I want to keep this build passive, I was hopping that two (or three) pickups in series would ad a bit more volume. Even 3-5db.

You're right...if they're in series, you'll get more output. But having one hidden is going to put it pretty far from the strings, so it's not going to contribute as much as it would if it were closer. It can't hurt to try it.

You're right...if they're in series, you'll get more output. But having one hidden is going to put it pretty far from the strings, so it's not going to contribute as much as it would if it were closer. It can't hurt to try it.
Yeah I had thought about that. I figured I would use a bridge pickup for the secret pickup. Its louder but normally can't be used in that position because of the bigger magnets. With the pickup that far from the string the magnets shouldn't be an issue and I'll get some free volume.

If you take a look at my Tele build thread there is a diagram for a powerboost option using a SD noiseless pickup but it effectively gives quite a boost with this by simply changing how it is wired. It is the second diagram down at the link posted. This is the option I used on that Tele.

@stratamania Could that diagram work with any 4 wire humbucker? I don't have the stacked noiseless on hand and if I'm going to go down this route I might want to look into doing it a bit different.

@stratamania Could that diagram work with any 4 wire humbucker? I don't have the stacked noiseless on hand and if I'm going to go down this route I might want to look into doing it a bit different.

It could work with a humbucker, it certainly won't do any harm to try it. Though, it may give a different result than on a stacked pickup.

I am looking forward to hearing about the results. It will be like a hidden surprise boost/magic show!

A Strat pickup that far from the strings will be weak. Duncan and Brad Paisley teamed up for the Secret Agent which can offset this somewhat.

Seymour Duncan Secret Agent

If you really want a boost, just add an EMG PA-2 to your volume as a push/pull.

Gibson's Brian Ray SG & Fender's Brad Paisley Esquire both use a hidden pickup, but that's mostly to have it as a humbucking agent. I imagine even pulling a hot single coil pickup down to pickguard level will greatly reduce it's input into the signal . It would enhance rather than boost. For a more boost effect might one suggest a stacked single coil pickup with 4 conductor wires & have the main operation in parallel. Then if you want to boost it engage it as series for the extra volume?

Back