Scratch build?

Still no pics, but I'm finally happy with where the black sides are headed. I was afraid the 2nd coat was way too thick and running, but they came out pretty minor and sanded out. After hitting it with 000 steel wool, the coat evenness was looking pretty good. Filled a few more straggler nit spots, waiting on it to dry so I can sand and reshoot what is hopefully the last black coat.

The end is in sight!

Finally got the edges to "good enough". Once the shellac dries, it's sand, shoot clear, buff, and mount hardware. Whew.
ubass-edgedone_zpsogaedb3r.jpg

Decided to buff and mount hardware. We can do the topcoat later. I know I need to shim the neck angle - it ended up with a tiny bit of negative angle. Once we have any fitting for hardware done required we'll shoot the final clear coat.

Had a little bit of blotching on the outside edges where I forgot the seal coat before dying the last time around.
ubass-ready_for_hardware_zpsnppyis2a.jpg

ubass-front-RFH_zpsm4opk2ul.jpg

ubass-back-RFH_zpsid0jqk96.jpg

Not quite done, but it's strung up for the first time in a while. Once I get it wired up and the some more fitting done to the bridge/pickup - I'll paint the bridge black. Tried to cut a shim for the neck, but didn't have a good way to cut something so small, ended up making a little bit more room by shaving some depth off the back of the neck pocket with a sharp chisel. Need a bit more neck angle to get the height I need for the bridge.
​​
ubass-strung-up_zps3zj0vpfs.jpg

Finally got it knocked out. Whew - can't wait to play it with him.
ubass-final-front_zpsnskezoto.jpg

ubass-final-bridge_zpsdoi1rpak.jpg

ubass-final-back_zps0yambeee.jpg

Smashing success! The finish ain't Tonar grade, but it sure made a little boy happy! I asked him "What should we make next?" His answer - "you should make a bass" (for me). I wouldn't mind a right handed u-bass (maybe in a 23-24" scale) but I think I wanna do my narrow spaced 5-string P-bass, or else maybe a fretted EUB.

Good stuff, well done, looks good  :icon_thumright:

Hope he enjoys it  :guitarplayer2:

:rock-on:

Well done! This has been an interesting project to follow, nice to see it arrive at its happy conclusion!

We tried through a couple amps at the local GC today. Here's my son with his bass in his favorite room at the local GC - the PA/light room. The fire extinguisher reminded me of Alex Van Halen.  (My phone sucks in low light, and it's too slow for followup shots.)
ubass-gc-light_zpsgcceer3b.jpg

Back