Schaller Vintage Strat Tremolo -- questions:

Mapleg4

[list type=decimal]
[*]Does this work with the routing for the Fender Standard Tremolo?
[*]It seems to be a wide bridge as well. Will this work with the Standard Bridge Cut on the pickguard?
[/list]

No, it doesn't the Schaller Vintage is a retrofit for a Floyd Rose bushing spacing.

The Schaller Tremolo 2000 will retrofit a Fender Standard two post tremolo.

stratamania said:
No, it doesn't the Schaller Vintage is a retrofit for a Floyd Rose bushing spacing.

The Schaller Tremolo 2000 will retrofit a Fender Standard two post tremolo.

Thanks for answering.

[list type=decimal]
[*]Does that mean that I can specify that I want the "Floyd with angled pocket" Routing?
[*]Do I need the Floyd bridge cut on the pickguard?
[/list]

No problem...

1. Does that mean that I can specify that I want the "Floyd with angled pocket" Routing?

This would work I think. Or you could perhaps request without an angled pocket.  Angled would probably give you more possibility to pull up and float the bridge.

Hopefully if Cagey, sees the thread he may have fitted one at some point and may have some insight.

2. Do I need the Floyd bridge cut on the pickguard?

Most definitely.

Its a good bridge for sure.

stratamania said:
No problem...

1. Does that mean that I can specify that I want the "Floyd with angled pocket" Routing?

This would work I think. Or you could perhaps request without an angled pocket.  Angled would probably give you more possibility to pull up and float the bridge.

Hopefully if Cagey, sees the thread he may have fitted one at some point and may have some insight.

2. Do I need the Floyd bridge cut on the pickguard?

Most definitely.

Its a good bridge for sure.

The possibilities seem to be there.

I've used that bridge a couple times now, and like it a lot. I'd have been using them a lot longer had I known about them. Highly recommended.

To get them to "drop in", you need to order the "Floyd with angled pocket" route. I think the option exists for those who'd like to "top mount" a Floyd. It spaces the mounting posts properly, opens the string anchor block cavity up a bit, and puts a couple degrees of angle in the neck pocket to account for the added height of the mechanical monstrosity that is a Floyd Rose vibrato bridge. The Schaller Vintage is fairly flat so it doesn't need the angled pocket, but I'm not sure you can specify that routing/drill pattern without it. If you can't, you can compensate one of two ways - either set your saddles up higher than usual, or keep them low and set your mounting posts up higher than usual. The second option is the way to go, as it maintains the built-in leverage the bridge has so the operation is easier due to mechanical advantage. Plus, it gives a wider range of operation than you'd get with it mounted down lower where it would hit the body if you sharp the strings too much.

Finally, the whole thing is smaller than a Floyd - the base plate has essentially the same footprint as a Fender AmStd two-point. I can't remember if it's exactly the same, but if any pickguard adjustment is needed, it's minimal or I'd probably remember it. I hate working on pickguards :laughing7:

You would need the different Floyd pickguard as the Schaller vintage has the same width as a Floyd original.

http://www.warmoth.com/Pickguard/StratPickguard.aspx#bridgecut

Thank you for the correction; I'd hate to mislead anyone. I don't remember modifying the pickguard on the Strat I used that bridge on, but it was a while back and my memory is pitiful at best, plus that guitar is gone now so I couldn't check it. I still have the other guitar I used that bridge on, but it's a carved top Tele so it doesn't have a pickguard.

Which reminds me - That Tele won GOM (the bound Blue Ice w/ Ebony over roasted Maple neck) some time back and I never added it to my sig. I need to find that artwork...

I don't have a good shot of the bridge on this computer, but I found these...

IMG_2485_Sm.JPG
oQwf0z7.jpg

4sbY6ES.jpg

Once it was strung up and set up, the bridge floats flat about 3/16" up from the body with the saddles down pretty close to the bridge plate. So, a little higher than you'd usually see on a top-mount. But, there's lotsa range for wild whammy action should the spirit move me. Roller saddles on the bridge, a well-cut nut and locking tuners mean it stays in tune should I decide to take advantage of its willing nature. And it's willing. It's a depraved little slut of a guitar :laughing7:

Incidentally, I said earlier that it was an Ebony over roasted Maple neck. That was the original plan, but I ended up with a bound Ebony over raw curly Maple neck that I finished in gloss lacquer. The bound Ebony over roasted Maple ended up on the Fiesta Red Tele.

So I am guessing the Tele, had the angled pocket...how its sitting is looking is similar to one of my guitars from the 80s that is a set neck with a slight neck angle and a Floyd that is not recessed.

stratamania said:
So I am guessing the Tele, had the angled pocket...how its sitting is looking is similar to one of my guitars from the 80s that is a set neck with a slight neck angle and a Floyd that is not recessed.

Does that Floyd work well?

Mapleg4 said:
stratamania said:

Does that Floyd work well?

Yes it works great. Still, it is in an exceptionally well made late eighties Hamer Chapparal Custom.  This was my main guitar for years. A couple of years back the original worn frets were replaced with Stainless Steel, a dodgy tone pot replaced and a more up to date Floyd arm, which is easier to adjust although there was nothing wrong with the original.

Here are a couple of photos of the "stratamania's old number 1"

Hamer3 by stratamania, on Flickr

Hamer4 by stratamania, on Flickr

Logrinn said:
Is that BareKnuckle pickups?

No, they are the original pickups, OBL made in Germany. So basically Original Bill Lawrence.  Not to be confused with the Korean made stuff that Gibson later put out. These are the real deal  :)

Very nice. I had an OBL back in the eighties on my SG shaped 61-LP jr. Best sound ever!

Mapleg4 said:
Another thing: Will a Vintage/Modern neck work with the angled neck pocket?

No reason why it would not. Dimensionally they are the same so should be no problem as you are not planning to use a locking nut.

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/VintageModernInfo.aspx

Back