Schaller locking tuners (from Warmoth)

mdurg68

Just received the Schaller locking tuners and notice the post heights are not staggered. Does this mean I will need to use string trees?

If you have a standard Strat or Tele or Warhead configured neck - i.e. not a tiltback - you might get some benefit from string trees.  But first make sure your nut is as well-cut as possible.  You may not need it.  My green tele has non-staggered Grovers and a graphtech nut, and i have not felt the need to use a string tree.

Thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned I will have a gotoh trem. But I’m not a dive bomb type of guy so it’s pretty tame. I compared them with my Strat deluxe which are staggered and the difference is tiny. So I guess I’ll go without and if needed can add later.

Another option would be Kluson stagger set. These will take any non staggered tuner and convert them to staggered

04009_600x600@2x.jpg

mdurg68 said:
Thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned I will have a gotoh trem. But I’m not a dive bomb type of guy so it’s pretty tame. I compared them with my Strat deluxe which are staggered and the difference is tiny. So I guess I’ll go without and if needed can add later.

What Bagman said.  However the staggered tuners on non-tiltback necks really is not specific for trem use.  It is to create a proper break angle on the nut for the strings.  Kinda think of a tom-stop type of bridge.  If there is no a correct angle, the strings could buzz.

IF you are careful when stringing and wind the strings going towards the bottom of the peg this could help.  If you are set against them either swap the tuners to staggered, or give it a shot without them.  you may be OK. 

I've used the Schallers from Warmoth on several different builds, for me and for clients, and never had a problem with them. I'm a pretty heavy whammy user and have no problems at all with returning to pitch.

I have one guitar with non stagger Schaller locking tuners and it does not need a string tree(s). I agree the nut is the key element on that.

when i bought my Schalelr set from the Big W a year or two ago, they told me the ones they stock are  not staggered because they are all the short height and that i wouldn't need a string tree. so i say try your build w/o one first.

Back