Say hello to Strawberry The Dog

bagman67

Epic Member
Hello, Warmoth Family.

As you know, our lovely lady Trixie had to be put down a little over a month ago. Many of you shared your very kind condolences when I announced her passing, for which my family and I remain abidingly grateful.  When she passed, after the initial 3 or 4 days of tears, we felt pretty confident that we would not get another dog. Trixie was perfect. We got her at 10 weeks old as a “rescue” but, looking back, she was always going to find a home. She was a perfect gingerbread-colored puppy and we just lucked out.

Going into the Christmas week, we talked about our beloved Trixie, and realized since her passing, the family felt… incomplete. I began to surreptitiously hunt for a new dog to join the family.  And I found one who sounded perfect – friendly with children and other animals, calm, affectionate. And so I stalked her listing with the rescue organization for a week, reasoning that if someone should adopt her, that’s fine, it means she got a home.  But inwardly, I think to myself, she is perfect, I am certain. And, upon showing my wife this little dog’s picture and bio, Zoe agrees. She is perfect.

So we as a family have taken the big first step by actually rescuing a dog. This two-year-old terrier/Dachshund mix was found in the streets of Tijuana. She had had puppies recently, but they were not with her when she was found. She was taken in for veterinary care and immunizations by a rescue organization here in San Diego and was given the attention she needed, whereupon she was fostered for several weeks.  We met the foster family and got acquainted with this little sparkly beast, and it was all over.  We had to fill the hole in our family with this wee, gentle creature.  She is tremendously calm and affectionate, lazy as can be, and has bonded wonderfully with my wife.

She has been with us about two weeks now, and our family -- two cats, two parents, and three kids full -- will do all it takes to ensure that our newest addition, Strawberry The Dog, knows that she is a part of a family who will keep her safe and love her.

Welcome, Strawberry!

39745141273_8f19a131d9_b.jpg

39745078883_945b612ca3_h.jpg

Absolutely outstanding! She looks like a really cool dog. I'm pleased for you all. Isn't it wonderful how such a little guy can fill out a family? A thousand congratulations, there.

If more people were as kind to animals as you, this world would be a much better place.
Congratulations to your new family member.

Congrats, Ian and Family! And congrats to Strawberry too, for finding a loving home!  :icon_thumright:

Nice dog! I like Medium-small mixed breed dogs.

The boy and I are both plotting. He's angling for a hamster. I'm angling for another cat. He's afraid of big dogs, I like the low maintenance of cats. It'd be lovely to have a cat we could let roam the house again.

Congrats on the new addition! I'm sure you all have great fun in your future!

swarfrat said:
Nice dog! I like Medium-small mixed breed dogs. The boy and I are both plotting. He's angling for a hamster. I'm angling for another cat. He's afraid of big dogs, I like the low maintenance of cats. It'd be lovely to have a cat we could let roam the house again.

Hamsters are cute, but short-term. Plus, they love you so much that if you don't keep 'em caged, you'll never see 'em again. Not a pet, is what I'm saying.

If you like small dogs, cats, and low-maintenance, consider a Siamese kitten (don't adopt a grown one, you really need to raise them). Best of all worlds. Contrary to common belief, they're not "mean", they're just fiercely loyal and territorial, much like dogs, so if you see a Siamese and it's not yours, you'll likely be put off by its attitude while it plots your death, and it won't be afraid to put its plan into action. If it is yours, it'll want to play, much like a puppy. They'll fetch and take to a leash like a dog and are quite attached to their owners, but plot, plan, stalk and hunt like a cat, all while being super-loving. Fun animals.

Kevin's right about the Siamese cats. Every one we've had has been a real character. Most of them would come running happily when called. One would even follow us around like a dog. They're great cats.

Back