Satin paint vs. gloss

Eisenhower42

Hi folks, first post here. I'm about to do my first Warmoth build and I am torn between gloss black or satin black. While I generally like satin black in most things, I'm wondering about its durability in terms of use on an instrument.

If you've had a Warmoth satin finish, have you found it easily gets shiny spots from wear, such as your arm, or rubbing against the inside of a case, etc?

Thanks,
DeWayne

Warmoth's satin finish is different than most for the last couple years. Very durable, and doesn't mark up like satins normally do. There's a build example here if you'd like to see a black one.

I have a few satin Warmoth bodies and though they do seem to be more durable than most satin finishes, I do get some glossing on them, specifically below the pickups where my fingers rub when I play and around the volume knob.  I haven't seen any noticeable shine to the forearm rest or elsewhere.

As far as I know, they changed their satin finish not to have that gloss problem after a while. I guess I'll know for sure if mine wears a bit or not in a few years (it arrived on March).

I have one satin body from 2017 and one I got in March and both are showing glossing in the heavy wear areas.  The 2017 shows it more though that is probably due to it having seen more use of course.  I suspect it is just the nature of that type of finish.

I found it difficult to get a good photo/video showing the gloss, and didn't have any luck at all with the goblin green guitar given how busy the color and sparkle is.  Regardless, here is a photo and a video of the 2017 guitar that might give you some idea.  The lighting in the video makes it look worse than it actually appears in real life.

Here you can see the distinction between the gloss and the part that is still satin under the strings.
FNDQgAM.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Lw8jkuJ.mp4

Very useful. Thanks! Hope it takes so much time before my satin body starts getting glossy ^_^U

I can attest, their satin black is very nice.  I didn't play this one too much before I sold it off.

Attachments

• 20191026_101946.jpg
    20191026_101946.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 231
Back