Clear Finish on Exotic Lam Tops - Gloss vs Satin

wardens355

I am looking at possible telecaster builds with burl or figured koa lam tops, which I would order with clear finish by Warmoth. What I'm struggling to find is a whole lot of examples that I can look at for gauging gloss vs satin finishes on these woods. I'm leaning towards gloss, does anyone have examples of exotic lam tops in gloss and/or satin?

I am looking at possible telecaster builds with burl or figured koa lam tops, which I would order with clear finish by Warmoth. What I'm struggling to find is a whole lot of examples that I can look at for gauging gloss vs satin finishes on these woods. I'm leaning towards gloss, does anyone have examples of exotic lam tops in gloss and/or satin?
Gloss will enhance the chatoyance of a figured top substantially more.

Last edited:
Gloss +1
In any kinds of high-contrast wood figure, gloss finish will enhance the contrast more and create some 3d-like visual with different light reflex.
But satin did not.

On burl I wouldn’t worry as much because iridescence is nearly non-existent and the difference is slim, gloss will still enhance contrast though.
On figured/curly Koa I would however always pick gloss to get as much iridescence / color / contrast as possible; but satin can have an aesthetic appeal.

You can look up “PRS Private Stock” guitars and narrow down with Burl or Koa on Google. They tend to generally be satin actually (customer/store choice).

Last edited:
My #1 is a guitar I built using a Warmoth Flame Koa over Black Limba body paired with an old Modulus Blackknife graphite neck. I originally had Warmoth apply a satin finish. After receiving the body, building the guitar, and living with it for a few months, I buffed out the finish to a gloss. The gloss finish really made the Flame Koa pop. So I would vote for the gloss.

Bill, tgo

Thanks all. I looked through a bunch of photos online and ended up realizing I just like the look of gloss finish best. So basically what you all said. Satin seemed to appear more like a piece of furniture to my eyes, if that makes sense.

Back