Satin color finishes

They already do that. Though, if I recall, they discontinued the option for technical reasons.

I'm not sure it was technical reasons on the satin - I think it was customer complaints. Satin finishes on bodies tend to look like hell in no time flat. You could hardly get a guitar built before it looked abused.

I think the finish discontinuation for technical reasons was with the "flourescent" colors. They turned out to be UV sensitive in a short period of time, to the point where you could get permanent shadows on a body just by leaving it near a window or something.

Cagey said:
I'm not sure it was technical reasons on the satin - I think it was customer complaints. Satin finishes on bodies tend to look like hell in no time flat. You could hardly get a guitar built before it looked abused.

That was basically the first thing that came to mind. Satin finishes make nice eye candy if you hang them up on the wall or something, but if you spend any time playing them, they gloss up! It looks terrible, and you can't prevent it from happening. Hence, satin finishes are uncommon on bodies.

Yeah, I have one here now that's that way. No matter how you touch it, it leaves a shiny spot. At least with gloss finishes, you can wipe away fingerprints, dust and what-have-you. With the satin, you're more or less stuck with it.

Cagey said:
Yeah, I have one here now that's that way. No matter how you touch it, it leaves a shiny spot. At least with gloss finishes, you can wipe away fingerprints, dust and what-have-you. With the satin, you're more or less stuck with it.

I'm thinking of getting a new guitar with a satin finish but I'm having doubts because of the "shiny spots". I'd appreciate it if you could supply some pics of your guitar to help me decide.

I'm sorry, I just shipped the thing last week. Google's not being very cooperative, either.

I had a black highway1 strat that I hand polished. That thing came out amazing. It looked like it was sprayed back in the 50's. It was no longer satin but it didn't look like it had a clearcoat on it either. To me it was just right.

Back