Sanding with Tru-Oil

alexreinhold

Yet another Tru-Oil thread, sorry!

Here's my approach:
- sand down to 320
- apply indian ink
- apply sealer
- apply white glaze for grain filling (tested and worked)
- rub glaze in pores with 000 steel wool (tested and worked)
- apply 10 coats of Tru-Oil
- sand down to 2500
- apply BC sheen and conditioner

you notice that I only sand at the beginning, use the 000 steel wool for the doghair/cerusing and then sand after the 10 coats of tru-oil. In my experience that suffices. Does anyone sand between coats when using Tru-Oil or would generally recommend more sanding in the above process? The reason I avoid this is to not create swirls.

swirls can also be removed with swirl remover.  I don't know if they have it Germany, but my UAS by go to brand is MeGuiar's

rick2 said:
swirls can also be removed with swirl remover.  I don't know if they have it Germany, but my UAS by go to brand is MeGuiar's

Yes, we got very similar products here. However, given that I am going for a satin finish, those will add way too much shine. I'm generally wondering why sanding would be necessary between tru oil coats anyway..

alexreinhold said:
rick2 said:

Yes, we got very similar products here. However, given that I am going for a satin finish, those will add way too much shine. I'm generally wondering why sanding would be necessary between tru oil coats anyway..

If you apply it thinly in many cases it is not needed. But you can do some light sanding if it is needed with increasingly finer grits where needed between tru-oil applications and use thinned tru-oil if going for a smooth and glossier finish which is not what you are going for in the end.

alexreinhold said:
I think I'll go for no sanding with very thin coats - feels most natural to me. Thanks!

Of course, whatever gets the job done and I agree if you do not see a need to sand then why do it.

As a sidenote or is it a footnote: There are some that sand wet with tru-oil as a sort of filler, so there all sorts of ways of using it.

Back