Sanding a neck before oil staining

stefanhotrod

Hi guys,

I‘d like to stain a one piece maple neck with an oil stain (wudtone or a similar stain). Since there are different instructions  :help:- how fine should I sand the neck/fretboard before applying the stain? I‘d like to achieve a super smooth surface in the end.
I guess it mustn‘t be too fine so the stain will bite the grain, but instructions vary from 120-400grain  :laughing7: sanding before staining...

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Are you asking about a Warmoth neck or some other type?
Warmoth necks are already sanded. The most you might want to do is a quick once over with 400 grit, but in most cases may not be needed. You do not need to go finer.

For example with Tru-oil I tend to lightly knock it back every now and again between coats with 600 grit, but then after the final coats I may go to 1000 - 1500 grit and then buff with a cloth. The finer you go generally the glossier it will get which may or may not be what you are going for.

Thanks, yes Warmoth.
But I‘ve been recommended to sand it (back) to 240 or even 180 grit.
So my question is what is best before applying oil stain (NOT TruOil), am I good to go with 240?
Thanks

stefanhotrod said:
Thanks, yes Warmoth.
But I‘ve been recommended to sand it (back) to 240 or even 180 grit.
So my question is what is best before applying oil stain (NOT TruOil), am I good to go with 240?
Thanks

I don't know who recommended that but don't do it. It has already been sanded to at least 240.

Either don't sand it at all or follow what I mentioned already.

Back