Sanded through dye

Gigantor

Hey All

I just tried searching through posts, but couldn't find anything related, so apologies in advance if this has been covered.

I was trying to put on a custom decal on an old Warmoth neck I'd ordered years ago with vintage tint satin finish. Ended up accidentally sanding through to bare wood on the face of the headstock over the string tree hole, and support suggested I try the forums since they're unable to send any small batches of finish for a repair. He suggested either Stew Mac or maybe Minwax for their touch-up pens.

Has anyone run into this issue before and what product/color did they use to match?

Thanks in advance!!

So the Warmoth vintage tint is not done with a dye; it's a toned/colored lacquer.

You could try the Stewmac touchup pens, I think "vintage amber" would probably be closest.

Another option would be be to dye/stain the would to a close color match and the put clear over it.

Or just sand off all the finish on the headstock, and start over, but no decal and paint it black.
When this happened to me I was fortunate in that I finished the neck myself with tru-oil. I just sanded off the headstock, put on a few layers of tru-oil, then buried the decal in tru-oil.
Personally, I like the look of no decal, YMMV.

Or just sand off all the finish on the headstock, and start over, but no decal and paint it black.
When this happened to me I was fortunate in that I finished the neck myself with tru-oil. I just sanded off the headstock, put on a few layers of tru-oil, then buried the decal in tru-oil.
Personally, I like the look of no decal, YMMV.
Funny, I just got done refinishing an 84' MIJ Squier Strat in tru-oil that I bought secondhand in the 90s, and got a new roasted maple neck with SS frets for it. That tru-oil finish is amazing.

Attachments

• Finished Strat.jpeg
    Finished Strat.jpeg
    714.6 KB · Views: 11
So the Warmoth vintage tint is not done with a dye; it's a toned/colored lacquer.

You could try the Stewmac touchup pens, I think "vintage amber" would probably be closest.

Another option would be be to dye/stain the would to a close color match and the put clear over it.
Interesting, no wonder it was so easy to sand through, and I was using 1000 grit and trying to be careful! Thanks for the help!

Back