RUMOR - Gibson closing (confirmed FALSE)

dbw said:
+1, if they would stop the Robot Guitar and frivolous lawsuits they could sell '50s-quality Les Paul Standards for 2 grand a pop, and they'd sell SO MANY... hell, I'd buy three.

By the way rs4x, Mr. Gibson has been dead for like 100 years and never made a guitar anyway... he was a mandolin maker.

Yeah, I know he's dead... just saying Mr. Gibson (meaning whoever is in charge nowadays) needs to get his act together...

Ah, the metaphysical "Mr. Gibson"... probably actually a board of directors somewhere.  Several guys named Rutherford and Percy and shit like that.  :doh:

dbw said:
Ah, the metaphysical "Mr. Gibson"... probably actually a board of directors somewhere.  Several guys named Rutherford and Percy and shite like that.   :doh:

haha... yeah... something like that... :laughing7:

Well now you make it sound like Statler and Waldorf (the hecklers) from the Muppets are running Gibson.

...that would actually make a good Muppet movie.  Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem would have to save the company from them.

If Gibsons came stock with Seymour Duncan pickups, I think it would do wonders for them.  Imagine if Classic Les Pauls came stock with 59's or Seth Lovers instead of those high output ceramic gibson pickups?

boaty said:
If Gibsons came stock with Seymour Duncan pickups, I think it would do wonders for them.  Imagine if Classic Les Pauls came stock with 59's or Seth Lovers instead of those high output ceramic gibson pickups?

What makes you think that Duncan doesn't do a deal or two with Gibson for OEM stuff?  Just doesn't have the Seymour Duncan brand name emblazoned all over the pickup bobbin. I dunno, Fender does a lot of this OEM nowadays, does Gibson do the same - or do they still keep it all 'in house'?

Uh yeah, Gibson kinda invented the humbucker.  Gibson using SD humbuckers would be like Fender using Warmoth necks.

regardless, they invented the humbucker... but they ain't exactly improving it now either... there is nothing I hate more than harsh toneless gibson humbuckers... except maybe a broken femur...

dbw said:
like Fender using Warmoth necks.

They wish!
actually I heard someone claim that the fender custom shop uses warmoth parts every now and then, just like suhr, sadowsky, valley arts, etc. do.
But I am sure neither Warmoth or Fender would admit that IF it is true.

I would love to see a full list of companies that W ghost builds for though!!! :)

I'm saying that if Gibsons came stock with pickups like the Seth Lover, '59, Jazz/JB, etc, it would be an improvement over pickups like the 500T and 498T/490 set.  Godins for instance come with a Jazz neck and Custom 5 bridge.

boaty said:
I'm saying that if Gibsons came stock with pickups like the Seth Lover, '59, Jazz/JB, etc, it would be an improvement over pickups like the 500T and 498T/490 set.  Godins for instance come with a Jazz neck and Custom 5 bridge.

Probably.  But it would never happen.

guys...

If GM and Chrysler are on the verge of bankruptcy, Gibson going under is not out of the realm of possibility.  If that did happen, they would file chapter 11 and try to restructure.  If they were not able to restructure their debts, they would sell off their assets, including their brands, trademarks and physical assets.  This probably wouldn't be the worst thing in the world, as this would hopefully result in new ownership and competent management.

Lets all pool our money now!  I'm in for $50....who else?

RK

Also, many parallels to the banking failures as well.  Sellling products that are not worth the price being charged, greed, dependancy on credit, etc.

Back