RUMOR - Gibson closing (confirmed FALSE)

dbw

Master Member
http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/36907-gibson-out-business.html

Edit: Obviously this rumor is false since Gibson is still open and kicking.

Wow....that just can't be accurate.  Shutting down production for a little while I can see...... :dontknow:

Sounds like the guy's source fell for a joke on Friday the 13th.  If they had closed, even temporarily, some music related source would have a story on it. 

I think the guy is obviously smoking crack, but then again so are the corporate wheels of Gibby. Who the hell can afford 3-5g's for a LP?  Not me....

DangerousR6 said:
I think the guy is obviously smoking crack, but then again so are the corporate wheels of Gibby. Who the hell can afford 3-5g's for a LP?  Not me....

Apparently not Slash, either.  His was a copy.  :icon_jokercolor:

:laughing11:

It would be a shame if they did close.  I know a lot of folks here on the forum are down on Gibson, but I must have gotten a guitar built on an exceptionally good day.  My Gibson LP has never let me down in the 20 years I have owned it.  One of the best guitars I have ever owned.

BIll

ha- I don't believe it. Not no way. I wonder what the effect would be though if Gibson were really shutting down?

DangerousR6 said:
Ha, thats very true. Another thing though is that Gibson seems to be setting the price for decent guitars and other companies just jump on the price train. Eg jackson and ESP My friend ( Who thanks to his parents is freaking loaded $$) just bought a jackson V and dropped $3000 on it. I told him he could get the exact same thing at warmoth for a whole $2000 less, he said he wanted a neckthrough.  :doh:

If Gibby could survive the Great Depression, I'm sure they can make it thru this economy...They've been around for like 200 yrs... :dontknow:

I think it's a bunch of bs because yesterday I got an email from Gibson about how they are launching the new SG Autumn Burst Limited Edition.  Why would they do that if they were closing a day later?

I find it hard to believe that Gibson would ever close for good.  Their guitars are so iconic, some other company would buy them up.  Their image is just too valuable. 

DangerousR6 said:
If Gibby could survive the Great Depression, I'm sure they can make it thru this economy...They've been around for like 200 yrs... :dontknow:

Completely different company back then........and the expectations of a guitar company were far less in 1930s than today.

They were very small fry, and juts made what they had orders for back then, I'm assuming. Today, they are a marquee brand of the whole music industry, and expected to keep churning out instruments, orders or not.

Update from an anonymous "source" on mylespaul.com:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/36907-gibson-out-business-4.html#post658404

"Ok , here's the scoop and if you get me fired , I will hunt you down and make you give me money! Gibson is NOT shutting down or going belly up. They have cut back on our OT , yes but times are tough. I am very much still gainfully employed. We did have a plant meeting today and they stressed we need to keep up the quality standards to keep our customers loyal.Being that I am in a supervisory role , I think I would be told if we were gonna get the boot. Upper management does want to know who in the production lines are giving 110% and who is not. No layoffs have been announced and I surmise the only people that should be worried are the warm bodies showing up for a paycheck and not much else. That is no different than good times , they want dedicated employees and I don't blame them. If I spent that much on a new guitar , you better know I expect it to be right, too!

Not heard about the Bozeman plant but I seriously doubt it is gonna get closed. We are shutting down next week to do physical inventory but production numbers are going UP when it opens back up on the 23rd....... Feel better, folks?"

If it is true...Gibson has too much tradition, and an in demand product line just to let got down the tubes, Surely, an investor would jump in buy it. Get Warren Buffet on the line!  :laughing8:

Gibson is still in demand, but their prices are ridiculous... they could cut the prices in half and still make money... and in fact, I think that it would be good for them, because more people would be buying the guitars they wanted but couldn't get because of those prices. With more people buying this could be the best way to get them out of a rut. And if they improved the quality it would make em better for us serious players so that more people would buy. The last thing they should be doing is going to china because it screws up employment here and makes their stuff even worse so that less people like 'em...

Mr. Gibson needs to use some common sense. We can't pay $4,000 for $1,000 of guitar and $3,000 of name.

I agree.  Gibson prices are ridiculous, especially for the fact that their flame tops are far from AAAA, but they make you pay $1000 extra for anything with even a little bit of figuring. 

+1, if they would stop the Robot Guitar and frivolous lawsuits they could sell '50s-quality Les Paul Standards for 2 grand a pop, and they'd sell SO MANY... hell, I'd buy three.

By the way rs4x, Mr. Gibson has been dead for like 100 years and never made a guitar anyway... he was a mandolin maker.

I wish Gibson had more options on their guitars too.  The reason I decided to go custom was because Gibson has so few options on their models.  I wanted an LP Classic before I decided to get my Warmoth (which Gibson has since discontinued because they are freaking idiots), but there were only like 4 colors.  So if I didn't want black, red, or something in the orange family, I was screwed.  (By the way, I would have gone with the Honey Burst had I not found Warmoth. I like it well enough.  I really wanted blue though, which they didn't offer.)  Plus the Classic went up in price to $2200, and it didn't even have a figured top! 

Then the funniest thing to me is this 2008 Standard sillyness. They finally figured out after how many decades? that players have trouble playing high on the neck, so they made the 08 Standard with a contoured heel.  They also gave it weight relief and a tummy cut.  These are all fantastic options that are long overdue, but why the hell would they put them ALL on the Standard AND discontinue the Classic at the same time?  They should be options, not mandatory features... especially if it's on their flagship model. 

What they need to do is offer more models with different combos of the newer options, offer all of them in many different colors, and lower the prices.  People today want more choice and more bang for their buck.  Wake up, Gibson!

hannaugh said:
What they need to do is offer more models with different combos of the newer options, offer all of them in many different colors, and lower the prices.  People today want more choice and more bang for their buck.  Wake up, Gibson!

+1.  Doing exactly this is what made Fender great back in the day.

Wait, I just realized I was smoking crack in that last post and those options are all on the Axcess, not on the 08 Standard.  The 08 Standard has the assymetrical neck and a chambered body, but not the contoured heel and the tummy cut.  It does have a new neck tenon as well. 

But still... people who have been dreaming of getting an LP Standard for years aren't all going to want an assymetrical neck and a chambered body, so they're going to buy used LPs.  Silly Gibson. 

Back