Rocksmith

Do you think soldiers bitch about first person shooter games as much as guitar players bitch about guitar hero?

Yeah, it looks great. It could be a lot of fun.

I wish they would include this in their set list. (also this is one the best cover version of I have ever seen)

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgN0iYOSf-w[/youtube]

A lot of people rip on Guitar Hero and Rock Band, but I have always thought since they first started releasing stuff like that that it would lead down an interactive teaching road.  It's pretty cool to see that prediction has come true.  Anything that gets more people interested in playing music is good, and something that really helps you learn is even better. 

hannaugh said:
A lot of people rip on Guitar Hero and Rock Band, but I have always thought since they first started releasing stuff like that that it would lead down an interactive teaching road.  It's pretty cool to see that prediction has come true.  Anything that gets more people interested in playing music is good, and something that really helps you learn is even better. 

I find it ironic that I can play a real guitar, but I can't play a plastic one.  I think Guitar Hero is okay, and my wife and I have fun playing it (she plays the drums, I play the guitar...), but it's nowhere close to playing a real instrument.

I think this Rocksmith thing is pretty cool, but I'd like to see something come out where you actually learn a song in its entirety, and one plug of a string doesn't "equal" 3 notes.  Show me how to play the damned song....for real.  Use TAB or something....

That is kinda cool, basically turns your ps3 into guitar rig/amplitube meets guitar hero.

although you know... "Real Guitars are for old people."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uxlNmKqlSA&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL9967B33BBE221015

Torment Leaves Scars said:
hannaugh said:
I think this Rocksmith thing is pretty cool, but I'd like to see something come out where you actually learn a song in its entirety, and one plug of a string doesn't "equal" 3 notes.  Show me how to play the damned song....for real.  Use TAB or something....

There actually is something like that.  I saw a demo of it on youtube a while back.  I can't remember what it was called though. 

I think Rocksmith starts out simplistic, but eventually works up to playing the whole thing correctly.

Erik Z said:
That is kinda cool, basically turns your ps3 into guitar rig/amplitube meets guitar hero.

although you know... "Real Guitars are for old people."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uxlNmKqlSA&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL9967B33BBE221015
Goddangit, I play that song way too often.

Good for those guys playing Soothsayer so well but, Jesus, shorts and sneakers are just not rock wear.

As for Guitar Hero. I had never played before and I took a trip down to New Orleans to meet my girl's family, one of whom was her 8-year-old nephew. The kid begged me to play the game and I finally acquiesced. It was doubly hard for me, though, being lefty, because I had the thing upside and backwards and had to remember the buttons were in reverse order from the colors appearing on the screen. That kid whipped my butt over and over again until I finally figured it out. I can't remember which song we did where I finally beat him, it may have been "One" by Metallica or "School's Out", but after him rubbing it in relentlessly how bad I was, I turned to him and said "Yeah! How you like me now?"  :icon_biggrin:

I think these musical games, even that don't represent real instruments in a way they're actually played, are valuable. Here was a young black kid from New Orleans who really didn't know or care about "white people" music like Kiss, Metallica, etc. before Guitar Hero, but there he was rocking out to it and loving it. It broadened his appreciation for music by exposing him to genres that weren't readily available to him. He's also an incredibly gifted "real" musician, in addition to playing Guitar Hero; he's great on drums and is learning the guitar like a prodigy.

no shorts or seakers? wtf?  try that speech on Sammy Hagar ( 64 yrs old this week, cabo...) or angus young ( wearing schoolboy shorts n sneakers since '74 ). let alone brian caroll who wrote soothsayer, hes in shorts, playing in a back yard on you tube..

i guess your vision may be of the keith richards/jack sparrow,  slash or zakk wild look? :guitarplayer2:  :headbang1: ahhhhhh ha
as for me, i prefer  jeans and normal dude stuff like alex lifeson or clapton, beck,

im going to rock you like a hurricane!  er  um something...

Attachments

• thumbnail.aspx.jpg jack spaaow.jpg
    6 KB · Views: 365
I should have been more specific in that I think white trainers and khaki / cargo shorts are pretty dweeby. And I'd never cite Sammy Hagar as a style icon. As for Angus, the school boy thing is a persona, so I'm cool with that; he's dressing up as a character as a component of his showmanship.

Back