Roasted Swamp Ash body, roasted flamed maple neck

Just a quick progress report. I have a light coat of satin poly on the neck and 5 or 6 coats of  gloss on the body. I'm liking how the neck looks with the body. I haven't done any finish sanding or buffing yet. I think I'll wait a few days or maybe a week to let the poly fully cure.

Attachments

• 20190615_084851.jpg
    20190615_084851.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 388
  • 20190615_084818.jpg
    20190615_084818.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 333
  • 20190615_084826.jpg
    20190615_084826.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 337
Finally finished! I think it turned out pretty good for a first-timer, but definitely a learning experience. Since I decided to use wipe on poly every time I tried to sand it I ended up going through the finish, so finally wound up just using 000 steel wool and buffing compound/polish.
Here are the specs:

Model: Vintage Stratocaster®
Orientation: Right-handed
F-Holes: None
Scale: 25-1/2"
Wood: Roasted Swamp Ash
Rout: Top Rout
Pickup Rout: Strat®, Strat®, Strat®
Controls: None
Bridge: Vintage Strat® Flat Mount
Jack Rout: Strat® Top Jack Rout
Neck Pocket: Strat® Shape
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Contours: / Tummy Cut / Forearm Contour

Style: Stratocaster®
Construction: Modern Construction
Orientation: Right-Handed
Neck Wood: Roasted Flame Maple
Fingerboard Wood: Indian Rosewood
Nut Width: 1-11/16"
Back Shape: 59 roundback
Fret Size: 6105
Tuner Ream: Gotoh/Grover (13/32" 11/32")
Radius: Straight 12"
Scale: 25-1/2"
Fret #: 21
Mounting Holes: Standard 4 Bolt
Pre-Cut Installed String Nut: GraphTech White TUSQ XL - Standard Nut
Inlays: Cream Face Dots
Side Dots: White Side Dots

I used a pickguard loaded with Tex-Mex pickups I got from The Stratosphere, and Gotoh locking tuners. The only thing I need to sort out is the bridge- I used a vintage hardtail bridge, not realizing that the string spread was a bit wide for the neck. The high "E" is very close to the edge. Looking into options- suggestions appreciated.

Attachments

• Front gloss.jpg
    Front gloss.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 312
  • Strat front close (2).jpg
    Strat front close (2).jpg
    580.7 KB · Views: 351
  • Strat back.jpg
    Strat back.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 296
  • Warmoth Strat Headstock.jpg
    Warmoth Strat Headstock.jpg
    339.9 KB · Views: 274
  • Strat 34 view.jpg
    Strat 34 view.jpg
    371.5 KB · Views: 280
Congratulations on completing the build.

On the high E, string try loosening the neck screws and manoeuvre the neck so that it aligns more closely. Then re-tighten the screws.

Congrats on your first! The satisfaction of that sure makes off-the-shelf guitars seem limited, doesn't it? It looks good, really good. I like the color of roasted swamp ash with a clear finish. The tort is nice on it. Have you thought about doing another one?

Rgand said:
Congrats on your first! The satisfaction of that sure makes off-the-shelf guitars seem limited, doesn't it? It looks good, really good. I like the color of roasted swamp ash with a clear finish. The tort is nice on it. Have you thought about doing another one?

Thanks- yes, there is a satisfaction for having done one to my own specs!

I've already bought a roasted swamp ash Tele body... guess I'm hooked now! ;) I have a neck I put on a Classic Vibe Custom Tele last year. Trying to decide whether to use that or order another roasted maple neck -I really like that look and feel.

Cagey said:
For example, the essential oils in woods of the Dalbergia genus (Rosewood, Cocobolo, Tulipwood, etc.) will keep it from curing properly unless they've been heavily stripped.
Doesn't roasting do that?

wlburnettejr said:
Finally finished!
Gorgeous instrument!

BlueTalon said:
Cagey said:
For example, the essential oils in woods of the Dalbergia genus (Rosewood, Cocobolo, Tulipwood, etc.) will keep it from curing properly unless they've been heavily stripped.
Doesn't roasting do that?

Those types of woods often used for fretboards are not normally roasted. (I have not seen an example of one)

That roasted swamp ash looks great. Looks almost like walnut when it's finished like that.

Bagman67 said:
Nice!  That stain on the ash gives it almost a koa-like appearance.

Thanks! Actually, I didn't stain it at all- the roasted swamp ash just darkens like that after applying a clear finish for some reason. I love the look...

That build looks SICK, dude. I'll add that to my Strat counter. This past weekend I've been doing nothing browsing dozens of guitar forums and keeping track of all the Strats and Teles I've seen, and so far I'm at 865 Strats to 786 Teles. I also counted 548 non-Strat/Tele to be fair. Anyway this clearly demonstrates a pro-strat agenda on the internet but I'm a big Strat fan so it's okay.

Going 21 frets with modern construction is an interesting choice

BroccoliRob said:
That build looks SICK, dude. I'll add that to my Strat counter. This past weekend I've been doing nothing browsing dozens of guitar forums and keeping track of all the Strats and Teles I've seen, and so far I'm at 865 Strats to 786 Teles. I also counted 548 non-Strat/Tele to be fair. Anyway this clearly demonstrates a pro-strat agenda on the internet but I'm a big Strat fan so it's okay.

Going 21 frets with modern construction is an interesting choice

I just wanted the side adjust truss rod, and didn’t want the fretboard overhang....

My roasted swamp ash body on my avatar tele darkened considerably and there’s nothing on it but a satin finish that Warmoth put on it.
On the plus side it almost matched up perfectly with the roasted maple neck!

pirate said:
My roasted swamp ash body on my avatar tele darkened considerably and there’s nothing on it but a satin finish that Warmoth put on it.
On the plus side it almost matched up perfectly with the roasted maple neck!

Yeah, I finished mine with clear grain filler and a wiped gloss poly, and it darkened a lot. I bought a tele body, too, and am going to finish it the same way. I love the look!

I've gone to open mics where you see one strat after another.  Sort of boring.  But it could be like the violin, eventually the instrument settles into a final form, and the strat will be a big part of that.  Anyway the violin is like 500 years old, and the electric guitar was being mass produced for the first time in the 1950s.  It has a while to go.

Back