Roasted swamp ash and Koa top velocity

ValeBliz

Got today my velocity body, ro swamp ash and a figured koa top. I want to do a pretty natural truoil finish and it's the first time I'll finish something, so this topic is to keep track of the process to and to see if someone says I'm doing it all wrong lol.

Right now I applied a first pass with birchwood sealer and filler, quite a few swirls on the top right now. I plan to then level with 400 grit, do a second pass with sealer and filler, sand and then start with the tru oil. Makes sense?

IMG-20211217-172146.jpg

IMG-20211217-172135.jpg

It makes sense to me and a fine looking piece you have. I mention this a lot but it is better to use thinner applications of finish as it is quicker in the long run I think than applying too much.

What are you using to apply the finish with?

stratamania said:

A lint free cloth usually use to catch colors in the washing machine, colorless and they don't destroy themselves like paper. It's a strange choice but I happened to had those at home and used them in the past to apply some oil on necks and they work very well.
Yep I plan to apply very thin coats while i switch on the truoil. The  birchwood sealer is a bit harder because is more gooey than i thought, i might thin the next pass tomorrow with mineral spirits.
Do you think it's better I sand between each pass of tru oil too?

ValeBliz said:
stratamania said:

A lint free cloth usually use to catch colors in the washing machine, colorless and they don't destroy themselves like paper. It's a strange choice but I happened to had those at home and used them in the past to apply some oil on necks and they work very well.
Yep I plan to apply very thin coats while i switch on the truoil. The  birchwood sealer is a bit harder because is more gooey than i thought, i might thin the next pass tomorrow with mineral spirits.
Do you think it's better I sand between each pass of tru oil too?

The sealer is indeed more gooey and is sealing and filling so thin applies less here. When you get to Tru-Oil it can also be thinned a little with mineral spirits if you feel the need. You may not need to sand after every application, unless you see something local to take care of. A lot of it is a feel thing as you go.

Lint free cloth is a good applicator, especially if you fold some to make a pad and then wrap it with another piece to make a sort of French polish type of applicator. But do take care after use to make all pieces flat and put them on a concrete floor in a well ventilated area to let them dry out before disposing of them. Not doing so as Tru-oil or similar substances dry in a balled up cloth can actually self combust...

And I have to say it again. A really fine looking piece of Koa and ash  :icon_thumright:

That is gorgeous, front and back! I'm usually less a fan of koa than other woods, same for swamp ash. These way exceed that leaning!

It's gonna finish up nicely!

stratamania said:
And I have to say it again. A really fine looking piece of Koa and ash  :icon_thumright:

Thanks man, yes I watched a few yt vids on oil finishing and I saw how to dispose of the damp cloth, good to know because I wouldn't have guessed they could self combust.

Wet sanded the grain filler with 400 grit and mineral spirits, then applied the first very light coat of tru oil. So far it's looking good. Now waiting 3-4hrs to see if it dries up enough to do a second pass. Thi will pair with a wenge neck with a figured ziricote fretboard with turquoise inlays  :blob7:, hope warmoth ships it soon, these where two orders a couple of days apart. Fortunately my gf isn't at home this weekend...

IMG-20211218-125854.jpg

IMG-20211218-125900.jpg

Just a stupid question. I also bought the birchwood casey wax, because why not, but... what does it do? Does it function as a polishing compound? Or it just gives the final sheen on a already polished body?

ValeBliz said:
Just a stupid question. I also bought the birchwood casey wax, because why not, but... what does it do? Does it function as a polishing compound? Or it just gives the final sheen on a already polished body?

Its not a polishing compound. Its a water repellant wax which will help protect the finish to a degree and give a certain degree of sheen. An alternative if you want more of a satin finish is the Stock Sheen and Conditioner product.

So far I did 10 coats of tru oil on top of the two coats of sealer. Tbh it's already pretty shiny and think it will just need some light buffing to even the finish everywhere. How many coats do you guys advise I do? I was thinking something around 15-16 and then let it cure a couple of weeks.

At this point go with what you feel is right. Perhaps now start with thinned 50% Tru-oil and white (mineral) spirits for some really thin coats. You should get to a point where you sort of know it is done.

Was there a kitten that was sacrificed to get that beautiful piece of guitar body holiness?  Wow, that is stunning.  Really looking forward to seeing how that turns out.

rauchman said:
Was there a kitten that was sacrificed to get that beautiful piece of guitar body holiness?  Wow, that is stunning.  Really looking forward to seeing how that turns out.

Lol no, but there will surely be the odd cat hair in the finish considering I have 3 indoor cats and I did the job in the kitchen  :laughing7:. Today UPS delivered the neck but I'm out for a few days and the finish is still curing, I did 12 coats in the end. I will resume the build next week I think, letting the truoil cure around a couple of weeks.

ValeBliz said:
rauchman said:

Lol no, but there will surely be the odd cat hair in the finish considering I have 3 indoor cats and I did the job in the kitchen  :laughing7:. Today UPS delivered the neck but I'm out for a few days and the finish is still curing, I did 12 coats in the end. I will resume the build next week I think, letting the truoil cure around a couple of weeks.

I guess that explains the Omino Bianco in one of the photos?

What did you use to apply the Tru-oil in the end?

stratamania said:

That exact omino bianco  :laughing7:, it's sheets of color catcher cloth to do the laundry, works very well because it's basically a white lint free cloth.

ValeBliz said:
stratamania said:

That exact omino bianco  :laughing7:, it's sheets of color catcher cloth to do the laundry, works very well because it's basically a white lint free cloth.

A ha, good to know...  :icon_thumright:

Got the neck, burnished it to p7000 even if wenge doesn't really shine up that much. The ziricote fretboard is really nice. Going to polish the frets in the next days, hoping they won’t need much leveling.

IMG-20220110-112449.jpg
IMG-20220110-112510.jpg

IMG-20220110-112542.jpg

Very nice neck and body.

I like that the wenge on your neck has the same color/shade as the fingerboard, makes for a very clean/seamless look without needing a headstock veneer.

Back